NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Baby CAG scratching

Guest danielsingh

Guest danielsingh

Hi,

I have been noticing since two days that my baby CAG is scratching/preening itself too much and it keeps biting its claws as well, not sure what is happening?

Is this normal, he is about 73 days old today.

I am a bit concerned. and since two days her feeding is also become from 60cc to almost 40cc per feed x 3 times a day.

any ideas if i am missing something or doing something wrong???

thanks in advance

Guest danielsingh

here we get babies around 30 days old no concept of weaning, very few people know of this, but mostly its because a normal bird costs XXX but

a hand feed/tamed bird costs 5 times more.

so people pull out the chicks early to hand raise them. Hand raising and step up/down would fetch 4 to 5 times more.

its awful but breeders no way to have any order.

How sad, I wonder how many babies don't survive due to these practices. Not everyone has the experience to hand feed a baby safely...:(

We pay a high amount here in the US, anywhere from $800-1400 depending on the area. What is the cost difference there from weaned young babies to hand feed/tamed birds?

Daniel why don't you read some of the threads especially the stickys in the nursery room for helpful suggestions on handfeeding and weaning young greys. They should continue to get the feedings as long as they want them, cutting back on the amount and frequency as the bird dictates and start adding solid foods to the diet.

Do not bathe your baby until it has all its feathers, probably not for another month or so until they start getting oil from the preen gland on their feathers, you do not want your baby to be so wet it takes a long time to dry, they might get chilled before they dry out.