NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Lillie comes home

Christol

Hey Everyone!

So we went and picked up Lillie yesterday, what an exciing day for all of us! On the way home we were pulled over by a Texas State Tropper (silly us we know driving on the shoulder is illegal) but we were going slow because of all of Lillies belongings in the back....didnt want to lose any on the road!

Luckily he just gave us a warning but not until after he asked what was in the pet carrier, well Lillie answered for us, as soon as he asked the question Lillie made the sound of one of those toy laser guns! It was pretty funny! Anyways we finally made it home and placed Lillie in her cage (which came with her) I was all set for her to be somewhat anti-social because of her new surroundings but boy was I wrong!

We could not keep the girl in her cage, she banged on it until we opened it and then she was off, no room in the house was safe, but her favorite room was the kitchen, I think that was because my son was in there, she really took a shine to him! She went to anyone and everyone that would have her as long as she was not on or in her cage. so all in all I think Lillies first day in her new forever home was a success. Now off to Wal-Mart to buy some aloe vera juice for her feathers, she has plucked all of her chest feathers and the rest look a bit tattered. I wish for everyone to have a great day :)

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Sounds like a pretty greyt homecoming! It also sounds like Lillie's going to be a charmer. You'll have to tell your son not to let her charm him out of his french fries anymore, though. Too much salt & potatoe is on the no-no veggie list. Not good for her girlish figure, either. lol

We will absolutely follow her lead....after all SHE is the boss!! She did not like being sprayed with the aloe juice, any advice on how to make it more pleasant for her? As for her girlish figure she must know all about how bad french fries are for her, because she did not take one bite! LOL

Sounds like Lillie likes her new home and is settling in very nicely. As for the bathing. My three parrots love to be sprayed with Aloe Vera. I use a very fine mist setting on the sprayer and spray upward. Never in the face. They love it so much they open their wings and feathers and even turn for me. Always mist your grey in the AM or early afternoon so she is sure to dry off. Never use a hairdryer to help with the drying as it will quickly dry out Lillie's skin. Natural drying is the best and my gang love to preen their feathers into their own fashion statement.

Parrots have an amazing effect, it explains the warning from the police man :) How old is Lilie anyway?

Twix,

Lillie is eight years old and per her previious owner only began plucking during her last molt. I plan on calling the vet tomorrow to set up an appt. to make sure it is nothing medical.

• 2 weeks later...

Christol... she sounds like a doll! Whether she has chewed or not, " it is a new day", for her. LOTS of personality! LOL I agree with Ray P, follow her lead... she will take you where she wants to go.

I wish I had some advice about the aloe vera, but Sophie " stinks", when it comes to showering and trying to provide her with moisture. It can't be from me. I made the deal with her years ago. I don't give her a shower, but someone else will. She accepted that deal. My groomer gives her a bath every three months. She knows where she is going, knows whats going to happen, climbs into her travel cage without an arguement. She gets showered and trimmed, comes back as happy as she left. As long as it is not me, and I have stuck to the deal, she is fine with getting a shower. Weird.... but it has worked for the past decade. Nancy

I was already well impressed at how well Lillie came right in and made herself at home that I never gave it a thought she was an older bird. I thought she was just a youngster. It is even more incredible that she is eight. Well done Lillie!