NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Soon To Be New CAG Mom

ariisamis

Hello Everyone,

I won't be brinning my baby CAG home for another 4 weeks. I am looking for a cage, toys and a play stand for my new baby. Oh and a name,lol. I welcome all suggestions. I owned a CAG in the past(10 years ago), but I currently have no fids. I am super excited right now, I visit my baby every Saturday. I am looking forward to meeting friends up here that I can share my love of greys with. I welcome all advice. Oh please help me find a name and cage,lol.:D

Hi ariisamis. Congratulations on your new fid (although I know 4 weeks seems like forever from now). :P

The "Cages & Homes" forum might help narrow down your cage search, some. Once you've maybe got a style in mind you can post a thread & get some feedback about what's good or bad & maybe some suggestions about where to buy.

The "Show Us Your Cage" sticky might be helpful, too. I like to look at cages all set up rather than the stock pics on the websites. It just gives me a better idea of the real size & how they'll set up.

Maybe this link will give you some naming ideas. It's actually a twofer because the link refs another one about how a number of members named their fids

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?191920-How-did-your-bird%28s%29-get-it-s-name

Hope this helps. Welcome to Grey Forums! Looking forward to hearing more as the time gets closer.

Hello Ariisamis and welcome to our family and yes this will be the longest 4 weeks of your life.

I don't know where you are from but just google bird cages and you will find lots of places, even ebay has good cages for sale. Do buy as big a cage as you can afford as a grey needs room to be able to open his wings and flap without hitting the sides of the cage and a playtop is nice too.

As far as names maybe something will come to mind when visiting your baby, something about his personality but Birdhouse has given you a link that may help with that task.

When you visit your grey consider taking some pictures and sharing them with us as we would love to see him.

Thank you both for welcoming us. Once I learn how to post pictures I will be happy to share. Oh and by he way I think I messed up and bought a cage that may be too small 30" x 22" x 64" with 3/4" bar spacing. I just read your reply about the cage being large enough. Guess I got too excited.

Hi ariisamis and welcome to the grey forum. As you get to know your baby a name will come to you that will fit your bird. As far as a cage I do not know how much space you have, but buy as big a cage that will fit the space you have and your pocketbook.

The 3/4" bar spacing should be okay for a grey. The generic rule is that any bird's cage should be at least as wide as the bird's wingspan in at least one direction. I would say that would only be comfortable for a fid that isn't really going to be spending much time in the cage. Then space doesn't doesn't matter as much because it's basically a place to eat & sleep & keep a few toys.

But if a fid's going to spend some time in it, then the cage needs room to let him move around even after you put in a few perches & several good sized toys. They'll need room to be able to do flight exercises too. So the bigger the better if you can afford the money & have the space.