NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

biting

momy442000

Emma my now 2 yr old Timneh (as of August 1) has become a little nippy - not enough to draw blood, but enough to become frustrated with it. I've benn told that greys begin thier "teen" years at about 2-3 yrs of age. Is this true and could this be a case of testing boundaries? If so any suggestions on curbing this behavior.

I think I read somewhere that around 5 is when they become sexually mature, but it sounds to me you are in a "testing stage". Just let her know who is boss and when she starts to misbehave give her a time out or put her down and turn your back. I have had days that my 6 month old will get nippy and that what I do...the earthquake just makes him want to bite harder.

Yes, I've heard and read that Grey's go through a "Terrible Two's" like our Human Babies. Bmustee is right on, She's testing you and also maybe just letting you know she doesn't want on your hand right now or to be put back in her Cage :-).

Bmustee gives good advice on the various actions yo u could try. I am a little more forceful with Dayo at 4 3/4 months. I just keep pushing my hand through and up and He get with the program or needs to get ready to Fall backwards... His choice. :evil: He has so far chosen to comply. :-) The "testing" has minimized...for now :ohmy:

A Two year old is probably stronger willed, like a Teenager and won't give up so easily and keep testing and testing....maybe ;-)

I thought of one more thing that may help...

I found that when my Sun Conure Otto would get testy I would start doing more trick training with him...two or three 10-minute sessions a day. The action of you giving orders and lots of positive reinforcement when the parrot follows them is a great way to show the bird who is boss but have a great time doing it. After only a day or two working with him he would quit giving me such a hard time...he had more important things to do like wave hi!<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2007/09/19 15:12