NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Painted Toys

Blitz67

I have a question and hopefully can get it answered. After reading alot of threads in this forum, i discovered that many people purchase inexpensive little things to make toys with. I.E. wicker baskets, plastic toys, etc. My question is two part. First when you purchase some of these items, how do you really know what wicker basket is untreated, or what type of material is on the toy. Secondly, the painted things that people buy, how do you know paint is safe. I found a great toy today, painted, so i called the manufacture to ask what kind of paint it was, they simply told me that it meets all standards and is water based and safe for children. I want to continue making Lilo's toys, I just dont want to give her something i shouldnt. Any thoughts or comments would be great.

Thanks,

Wayne

• 1 month later...

It's a tough question. Some people say not to by twine (jute or sisal) from the hardware store because you don't know if it has been treated with chemicals (although I don't know why it would be - why add cost to a low cost item?). But how do you know that the stuff from a craft store is any better? There are no labeling requirements and typically the manufacturer is not going to respond to questions.

I'd like to build more toys for Ellie, but I can't seem to be SURE that the components are safe...

Just about any website you can order parrot toy making parts from will have it. I place most of my orders from http://cabirdnerds.com/leatherlaces.html and http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/cart.cgi?group=6586&child=6633 and would recommend them time and again. Both sites have shown amazing customer service and prompt delivery - not to mention great prices!

Okay, toy-making soon to commence! I placed orders at both California Bird Nerds and My Safe Bird Store!

Now to go to the hardware store to get some wood and I'll have all kinds of materials. Just need to find somewhere to get some "kick in the butt" to actually do it all...

NOTE: No painted toy is safe for our Fid's!!! A while back I contacted Rustroluim and Krylon about "safe paint and Child safe paint" asking if they were safe for our birds...Rustroluim answered "No", Krylon replied No, and stated that if the painted item is "licked or put in a child's mouth, it's safe! If it's bitten or chipped, then"NO", The informed me that since they had some many people ask this question that they've sent a memo to there rep's...[The thread is somewhere on the Forum]. Sisal and twine from a hardware or craft store "is" treated, and can kill our fids....[smell it] Thanks Jay

NOTE: No painted toy is safe for our Fid's!!! A while back I contacted Rustroluim and Krylon about "safe paint and Child safe paint" asking if they were safe for our birds...Rustroluim answered "No", Krylon replied No, and stated that if the painted item is "licked or put in a child's mouth, it's safe! If it's bitten or chipped, then"NO", The informed me that since they had some many people ask this question that they've sent a memo to there rep's...[The thread is somewhere on the Forum]. Sisal and twine from a hardware or craft store "is" treated, and can kill our fids....[smell it] Thanks Jay

Even the sisal from the craft stores is treated? That's what I was told to purchase by others on this forum... (I don't have any other examples with which to compare the aroma, but I don't detect anything "chemical-like". And I have a better than average sense of smell...)

Even the sisal from the craft stores is treated? That's what I was told to purchase by others on this forum... (I don't have any other examples with which to compare the aroma, but I don't detect anything "chemical-like". And I have a better than average sense of smell...)

No painted toy from anywhere is safe.!!! Smell the Twine, feel it, it has a odor and in some cases you can feel the oil! Play it safe, buy only from a "Pet Safe" store. Did you known that some food coloring is also toxic to our Fid's, "Gel's for example. Garlic is ok for humans but can kill a Grey! Chocolate is healthy for humans but Will Kill our Greys. If your Grey only "Licks" fine, but if he chews, it will accumulate and kill, stunt or shorten there life....Jayd

Note: What we feed or give our fid's to play or chew with is our own free choice. Carpet Fresh and Teflon will kill our fid's almost immediately yet have little if no order and doesn't hurt humans, dogs or cats.

Edited by Jayd
spelling

Thanks Doug, again, it's the chemicals used to make some of the food coloring read the ingredients...Jayd

Which ingredients concern you? I only have the gels, so I don't have the other type against which to compare.

I bought these food colors based on a recommendation here on the forum. I keep trying to do the right thing and then finding out that I'm not...

Water

High fructose corn syrup

Glycerine

FD&C color

Sugar

Modified food starch

Sodium benzoate

Potassium sorbate

Carrageenan gum

Xanthan gum

Citric acid