NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gracie aka Houdini Bird

JeffNOK

Last week I came home from work and found that the door containing Gracie's water dish was unlatched and opened up outside the cage. I thought to myself, "How careless of me. I forgot to close and latch the water bowl door. Hmmm...". Well I have since discovered, that Gracie is quite adept at opening all the doors on her cage except the main door which has a spring lock and metal shingle block at the top. Now maybe I'm an overly impressed proud daddy, but I was quite surprised that she figured these latches out so easily. It requires pushing up the handle vertically, sliding it over horizontally, and then pushing / or pulling (depending on whether she is inside or outside the cage) the doors open. When she is outside of her cage and wants to eat some of her pellets, she just unlocks the door, pulls it open, perches on the side and tucks in! She is doing that at this moment as I write ! Thankfully, she doesn't do this to escape. I have never found her outside the cage when I get home. If this happens, I suppose I will have to do something about it. I'm just in awe at her mental agility. She is only six months old. I'm worried about what may await me when she is fully developed cognitively. This may be typical and the norm, but I am convinced Gracie is "gifted"--LOL

Edited by JeffNOK

As I said, I've never seen evidence that she has crawled out, but she certainly could if so desired.

Smart bird indeed! Misty has never shown any ability to open his cage doors although he rarely has to do other than sleep in it.

I wonder if Gracie sneaks out when you are away to explore and gets back in and closes the doors after?:D If I were you I would check your surfing history for any unexpected parrot activity!:eek:

Steve n Misty

Smart bird indeed! Misty has never shown any ability to open his cage doors although he rarely has to do other than sleep in it.

I wonder if Gracie sneaks out when you are away to explore and gets back in and closes the doors after?:D If I were you I would check your surfing history for any unexpected parrot activity!:eek:

Steve n Misty

HAHAHAHAH ....

LOL--I will check my ebay account first and see if there are any parrot toy orders on their way!
funny funny!!!!!!

JeffNOK... be ready! Miss Gracie is doing " just fine!" Now.... she may escape, so be prepared! What is the other animal situation? Any dogs or cats you should be concerned about? Have you " childproofed", electrical outlets"? Unplugged coffepot and other kitchen extras? I put in a new kitchen last March with Sophie in mind. New cabinets, up to the ceiling. Knobs only.Measurements NOT typical. If she walks in, she cant stepup to bottom cabinet. She was NOT pleased... but LOVES the new granite countertop, and runs back and forth, enjoying listening to her feet on the countertop. As usual, she thinks the new kitchen was put in for her! LOL! I LOVE how Sophie can turn everything into being about " her!" As well, it should be! Nancy