NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

homemade toy help

willotree

hello everyone i have been doing alot of searching on how to make some home made toys.or whats safe materials one might be able to use for making toys. i know cooper,zinc,fishing line,suede,are bad. But what can one use besides leather and stainless steal chains to build hanging toys.

I have bought a few toys at petsolutions.com and my safebird store. I would love to learn to make some. My husband made a play gym out of PVC pipe from a picture on this site. Also could someone tell me how many perches and robes i need for willo's cage. The cage is 40"x31"xs75.

I still have plenty of time before willo's in her new cage but I'm one of those people who wants to do everything right away! any help would be great thanks.

I ususally just try to copy toys that I see online or in the stores at home. You can use plastic link chain to build toys on, and also strips of anti-pill fleece. One of my Chickie's favorite toys is simply strips of fleece that I sewed buttons onto. She LOVES to try and pick the buttons off. Also, you can go to the craft store and get what's called "pony beads" and string those. She loves to chew on them. I don't think there's an exact number of perches needed, but probably enough so that she can move around on different levels. Also, you won't know until you get her what kinds of perches she prefers or where she prefers to sleep. It's kinda trial and error at first to get the cage set up right. You'll also find out once you get her in it if your configuration is good or not as far as her pooping on her other perches. I had Chickie's cage set up months before she came home and just tweaked it after I saw how she moved around in it. I was the same way-I wanted to have everything ready ahead of time. :)

Oh, also you can try looking in the baby aisle at baby toys. I have been told that they are bird safe because they expect babies to try and eat them-the same way the grey will. I forgot to say that if you sew stuff, like the buttons onto fleece, my breeder told me to use cotton thread and not acrylic or polyester.

I rarely buy baby toys, only the ones made in the US. Stay away from the toys add in China, they can be toxic, as has been all over the news in the past year or so.

Edited by Talon

I wish I was talented and could make toys for Sophie. I'm not! Kudos to you all that are. What I AM good at... is finding her perches and new playstands along the beach. ( close to great lakes.) Scrub them down, make a new gym. She is thrilled. She only likes shredable toys, so I enlist the help of my groomer who knows her. He owns a bird store, and knows her well. He helps me pick out toys for her. He knows I have a limited budget, but knows what Sophie likes. Nancy