NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi everyone! I just got a Grey and he is 3yrs

I just got my Grey from a lady who never spent any time with him.His name is Pepper. We are a big family of my husband,4 boys(ages 12,10,7,5) and my hairless dog(LOL) and myself.I have done my reading up and home work before we chose to buy one.But I thought of just getting a baby one and going from there,but when I saw his pic in the add I fell in love.So I am having some problems with him pulling some feathers.I don't know if I should be worried.He also is not eating a lot of his food.He wants what I eat.So I'm thinking that maybe other owner gave him a lot of people food.So I saw the list that some of you have wrote about what he can have and what not.Thank you to that. If anyone can offer me some info that would be great.Oh and I can't get near him he bites.I know that with Greys there is a lot of trust problems so I understand that time will be needed.Thank you everyone for you time.

Hello Neverkall and welcome to our family and congrats on giving this grey a new forever home.

If he hasn't been in your home very long then yes it takes lots of time and much patience on your part to gain his trust and you have to earn it as it is not freely given. This could take weeks, months or even a year to establish that bond that will serve as the basis of your relationship so give him plenty of time to settle into his new life. After all he is in an entirely new environment, new owners, new house and everything and he may be somewhat scared and that could have caused him to pluck but don't fret over it for they can feel our emotions so if you make a big deal out of it then it might make it worse.

He probably needs to be vet checked to see if he is healthy and if there is any physical reason for the plucking.

Its good you read the threads dealing with what they can and cannot eat, you can offer him some pellets as most of us feed it as part of their daily diet, lots of vegetables, grains, legumes, rice and some pasta.

For right now just keep a distance so you do not get bitten but do speak softly to him and offer him some treats, let him come out of his cage on his own and let him dictate when he is ready for interaction. Be sure to read the thread on understanding body language as it will serve you well.

You are headed in the right direction so take your time and be very patient with him and you will reap the rewards.

Thank you all for the big welcome.Thank you for the info,I will remember it and use it the best I can.I did want you all to know that today he is eating from his bowl.Makes me feel good.He is starting to talk a few words.I do have a question what kind of pellets do you all use? I looked and the food I picked (without knowing) is almost all seeds.So I am going out shopping after I drop lil ones off at school and was going to pick some different food. Oh and I am going to pick up a bigger cage that has a play spot on top.Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for the info.He is doing great.He is eating this fruity pellet food and he thinks its great! His new play stand comes in today and I will be working on that for him tonight(or Friday LOL).I will have to see how long it takes for me to put it together.He is making more sounds everyday.So I'm taking it that he is getting happy with us and what we do.That makes me feel good.I talk to him all the time while I'm cleaning and cooking.He sometimes talks back but mostly I feel he is listing to me.I heard that when you put him in his cage that you should cover him at night.Is this wrong?

Oh ok thanks.I just wanted to let you all know that I got him to 'step up' onto my arm with no biting tonight.I am SOOOO Happy! And he is talking to me more.I am soo happy! I have only had him from the 4th of February.I hope that he keeps trusting me more and more. Thanks everyone for everything.

smiles proudly ... yes thats muh lil one ... think we are going with the name Marco :D and he is still being hand fed at the petstore that is run by AMAZING wonderful people! All they do is hand raise their babies .. truly a magical place. He was born Jan 6th :) so just 6 weeks old today :D *hops round all excited* but as you can see lol I have probably 2 more months of waiting to do :rolleyes: but it will be so so worth it. I get to follow his progress and pictures on Facebook and visit ANY time I want for as long as I want. We'll be going up next Saturday (since there is bad weather here *snow* yuck) this weekend and hubby has finally said he wants to go :eek: wow Im shocked!

Here is my predictions. We are going to get Marco home and by Xmas I will be buying him his "own" bird ;) you just watch... hes gonna have so much fun with him once hes home! I truly didnt think he was going to show much interest in the CAG so him wanting to go up there with me next weekend has my mind boggled :eek: but its all good I want him to show an interest! YEAH ME! lol :D