NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How a 'routine' vet visit turns into an emergency.

oblivion

***Update - Anya lost her fight on 7/6/2012 - exactly 5 months after I started this thread.***

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this. It's fairly personal and anecdotal, but it may also serve as a head's up on what people need to watch for with our birds. Mods, please advise if needed. Thanks.

I have to admit that it had been a while since Anya (12 y.o. 'tiel) and Spencer (14 y.o. TAG - in my home about 20 months) were to the vet, but both appeared healthy, so I was questioning if I REALLY needed to do it when I scheduled their trip for last Friday (2/3). I had set the appointment about 2 weeks ago. In that time, Anya had one 'bad day,' where she seemed a little low energy, didn't really eat as much as usual, and her poop was a bit watery. I let her be and worried a bit, but the next day, she was back on her food and her poop was looking 'better,' so I chalked it up to stress/change from Spencer's recent increase in interaction/attention/etc.

Fast-forward to exam day, and by the time I filled out the background information on the birds, I'd totally forgotten about her 'bad day.' This was a new vet, so I spent a lot of time outlining Spencer's deformed feet, past plucking, and my suspicion that his one wing might be damaged to the point of no longer growing flight feathers. The vet was very interested in him - grilling me on his perches, balance, mobility, etc. I seemed to satisfy her concerns that other than unsureness when working on step-ups, he was a pretty 'normal' bird. He, of course, didn't step up for her, so she had to towel him to do the exam. He had one or two pressure spots on his feet she was a little concerned about, but admitted that since his feet were SO abnormal, there really was no benchmark for what were acceptable 'wear marks' on them. She just suggested getting rid of the one hard perch I do have for him and replacing it with a rope perch. When she took him out of the room for his blood test, he even returned calmly perched on her shoulder - I was amazed (she was holding his feet to help secure him, but he wasn't upset with her at all). He didn't get off of her shoulder very gracefully, but eventually did and we got a weight on him (honestly I don't remember off hand, but I think 370-ish grams). Unfortunately she didn't get enough blood for him for a full panel and what she did get ended up coagulating in the sample tube, so was unusable. But his poop looked good and he generally checked out OK. We talked about trying to get another blood sample in a week.

Then her attention turned to Anya, and she IMMEDIATELY got concerned. She did NOT like that her poop was fairly watery and her comment to that effect jogged my memory and I ran down what I had seen a week and a half ago. She proceeded to examine her and found she was VERY skinny - her keel bone projecting quite a bit. I, admittedly, had not weighed her in a while, but her normal weight is 90g. +/- 3 or so, but never below 85g. She weighed in at just 81g. She drew blood, asked me a ton more questions about environment, toys, possible food contamination, organic nuts, etc. My head started to spin. She mentioned diabetes, PDD, and a million other things. She asked me if I had any questions and my response was, "Honestly, I'm in shock. Just tell me what to do." Through all of this, Anya looked 'normal' to me - even eating in front of the vet - until they took her blood. After that, she got quiet, fluffed up, and tucked her head in her back - and that made me very worried.

I waited while she did the fecal exam which found an imbalance in the gram stain. We were sent home with a bottle of Baytril and I was told she was going to rush the labs to try to find out what was going on. I had planned to just take the birds with me to work, but knowing she was sick, I didn't want to stress her and ended up taking them home. This was all wrapped up around 10:30 a.m.

Around 6:00 that evening, just as we were sitting down to dinner, the vet called me. She was very concerned. Anya's uric acid levels were VERY high. I forget the exact values now, but I think she said normal is around 12 (or maybe that's 'elevated') and hers were around 27. This was an indication that her kidneys were in distress. Her white blood count was 'a little' elevated, but not 'a lot,' so it seemed to her like more than a simple infection. She was suddenly overloading me with a lot of information but I was able to pull out a few items. First, she was not concerned about whatever this was being contagious to Spencer. Second, she highly recommended getting her to an emergency vet and not waiting until Monday. She suggested Animal 911 in Skokie, a place I knew well because unfortunately that's where my budgie had died almost two years ago (NOT their fault at all). She said she would call them, let them know I was going to be coming, and would forward the lab results and her other notes. She was also going to get a monetary estimate from them and call me back.

I found my wife and 5 year old daughter at the table and tried desperately not to cry in front of them. I choked down a burger but really wanted nothing more than to get going. At some point the vet called back and let me know that for the weekend, I might expect to pay at least $800. I told my wife and she just said, "Wow. Ok." Never questioning if we should spend that kind of money on a 12-year ld bird we'd gotten for under $100. That's one reason I married her.

On the drive home from the restaurant, I explained to our daughter that Anya was very sick and that I was going to take her to try to get her better, but that it was possible she was not coming home. When we got home, I packed up some food for her, we each held her and scratched her head a bit, and I headed out for the 45 minute drive.

They took her in, had me leave a $915 deposit (the low end of the revised estimate), answered any questions I had, and made me feel very at ease that she would be getting great care. They told me that they would only call me if there was a problem, that no news was good news, but that I was free to call them as often and at any hour as I wanted. The plan was 'fluid therapy' to flush the uric acid and try to kick-start her kidneys, as well as IM antibiotics to try to knock out any infection, with a retest of her blood panel on Monday morning to see if she had improved.

Saturday I was told she was looking better, and Sunday we visited, brought her some more food, and got a few more details. It wasn't until I saw how alert she was on Sunday that I realized that she HAD been sick for a while, but the change was SO gradual and slight, that despite interacting with her every day, I had missed it. I'd started to beat myself up about missing the signs, especially the weight loss, earlier, but to their credit, each of the 5 vets I've now spoken with have reminded me how hard such illness is to spot in birds.

Her radiograph showed 'something interesting.' Initial thoughts were a foreign, possibly heavy metal, body or a partially formed egg, but the most popular opinion now seems to be a calcified shell gland. The idea is that the shell gland is diseased, got infected, and brought about the rest.

I saw her again this morning (Monday) and she was looking good again. She was transferred from the emergency vet to the regular clinic (same building, different entity, but thank god, slightly better rates) and we reviewed the plan. Luckily, the original vet is on Team Anya and was gracious about her staying 'in-house' there instead of going through the stress of transferring back to her. Perhaps it should be expected, but I don't want to take it for granted. Everyone has really been the bright stars through all of this.

Now the plan is to recheck uric acid and white blood cell levels, administer a dose of Lupron to attempt to shut down her egg production, keep her at least one more night, and hopefully bring her home tomorrow.

Best-case long-term will be ongoing monitoring of her blood panel and management of her breeding response through Lupron and environmental controls.

Worst-case, of course, is that her kidneys do not respond and I'd imagine I only have a few days left with her.

Wait and see. Wait and see. Wish us luck.

For those keeping score at home, the vet total, minus Spencer's share, is about $1,400. That does not account for future shots of Lupron ($50/ea) and exams/panels. I include that here as information for those considering getting a bird - or those who already have birds and haven't yet had a 'rainy day.' Know what you're getting into and what you may need to spend. I don't have that kind of money in total just sitting around. I'm 'normal folk,' and it's going to take some sacrifice to pay all of it off, but there was never a question of spending it or not.

Also I'd like to point out that this 'happened' despite knowing about the risks of reproduction attempts, even in non-breeding birds. One of my childhood budgies died of egg-binding. My recent budgie, Nimue, had laid a lot of eggs, despite 'doing all the right things' of light control, not stimulating her, etc. Anya, also, has always gotten 'breedy' come spring and fall just about every year, though only ever laid one egg.

Thank you so much for reading.

Edited by oblivion
Critical update

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry you and Anya are having to go through all this. I'll keep her in my thoughts that she pulls through. Your post has definitely made me realize that I do need to get a scale and weigh my girl at home, especially to determine her "normal" weight. I hope for the best for you little girl.

Oh my what a story and what a parront you are, of course it is hard to see such minor changes when you see them on a daily basis, it was so gradual it was hardly noticeable but there it was. I see from your last post that she is doing better, at least her acid level has dropped dramatically so hopefully the worse is over. Please keep us informed on Anya's progress.

OOOOOOOOOOh goodness! What a terrible time you have had as well as expensive. Your baby is lucky for sure to have you!! It definately concerns me being new to the bird owner scene :) probably why I ask so many questions. I want to be so careful and safe and a good parront! This has definately convinced me to get a scale and I'll ask the store b4 I bring him home what they are keeping his weight at cuz I know they monitor it there closely as well.

I hope you are able to bring your baby home soon!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have one of those full spectrum lights that they use? Suggestions?

Thanks for sharing your story. Having just shelled out $1200 in vet bills for my lovebird, I share your pain. But it sounds like we're both getting happy endings out of it. Almost losing a bird strengthens the bond between you. I hope Anya keeps getting better and you get a nice long stretch of good health and no vet bills!

YAY! Anya is home! (And medicated and I am at my very understanding work place now.) She's on 2 oral meds daily for a month or two, 2 more oral meds daily for life, and a Lupron injection monthly for life. Assuming a good recheck in two weeks, the Vet doesn't see why we can't get a few more years out of her. Best early birthday present I could have hoped for. Thanks for all of the support everyone.

One interesting thing is that the vet today was not concerned at all about Anya's weight or muscle mass (which in fact was down to 78g when I got her home). She speculated 90g might be too much for her, but of course hasn't seen her at that weight yet.

You have been through the wringer, I am glad that the news is getting better. Anya is a beautiful little girl. You did a great job choosing your wife who supports you through a rough time. It reminds me to be grateful to my own husband for the support he has given. We we vowed "through sickness and health" little did we know that would extend to our beloved parrots and other pets. Thanks for sharing your ordeal with us. I am so happy you are smiling with your little angel on your shoulder.

This ending makes me so happy! A true story of the love of a true bird lover. I think most of us feel as you do, there is no amount of $$ that would stop us fom doing everything we can to save our loved ones feathered or not. Bless your wife, I loved her response, you are one very lucky man.

You've got that right. Yesterday was my birthday and I already have a friend's and a former pet's death anniversaries in close proximity - I'm SO glad I don't have to add Anya to that list.

The daily meds are a bit trying - she doesn't even want to step up out of her cage readily any more, which breaks my heart. When able, I have her out for a while before the meds so it's not just out, stress, back, but even that only goes so far. The good thing is she's a sweetheart as usual when she does come out - it's just that initial stress/hassle. And they seem to be helping (another blood test in 2 weeks to know for sure), so that makes it worth it.

I just had Spencer back for his blood test this afternoon. He was not amused, but shook it off pretty quickly. Hopefully he comes back clean - at this point we don't see any reason why he shouldn't.

Her doses are so minute (0.02 ml to 0.08 ml - just a couple of teardrops, really), I really don't think I could use a 'broadcast' application like that. If it goes beyond 'annoying,' I'll ask the vet, though.

Edit to add: I just got an e-mail from the vet and Spencer's bloodwork is normal. Hooray for that.

Edited by oblivion

• 2 weeks later...

Anya had her 2-week follow-up on Wednesday. Her uric acid levels are improving but still high. Her calcium level was lower than hoped, but not bad. Glucose was good. Overall, the vet was happy with her progress. She got another shot of Lupron and will get re-checked in a month.

She's, thankfully, gotten better about taking her meds. She's still not HAPPY about it, but takes it much more in stride and she does get extra Daddy Time out of it, so it's all good.

BTW, Malikah, I think I'm finally going to get up to CARE tomorrow. But I swear, no more birds yet. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Aerial!

Here's a little update cross-posted form my Spencer thread:

Anya, is getting a LOT more focused out-of-cage/on Dad time since she needs meds twice a day now. In addition to that, she's getting a lot more flight time - something she had a lot of in 'the olden days,' though considerably less when cat, puppies, and kid came along. But I can now 'send' her to either of her play gyms form across the room (with about 70% success). Not too shabby. My daughter is also getting a lot more time/experience handling her. Really, I often forget Anya's even 'sick.' That said, I just realized that tomorrow is her last day for her antibiotics, so she'll be down to just one oral med in the a.m. and 2 in the evening. Next checkup is next week when we hope the uric acid levels continue to decline, and calcium and glucose levels are OK.

6813605852_dcb4b38396.jpg

Two of my girls. by oblivion9999, on Flickr