NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Better with age.

Ray P

Because of Cricket I read all I can about amazons as a species and it appears to me that amazons have a life cycle that they all seem to follow when it comes to their hormonal behavior in their mating season.

It appears to me from what I have read that from birth to about 5 years old they are great companions.

It`s that 5 years to about 12 years that their hormons and aggression kicks in and that is when most amazons are rehomed. After about 12 years they mellow out and again they are great companions.

I am not saying that the hormons stop but the behavior is not as drastic and it`s easer to live with.

Cricket has a past of aggression to people and birde alike, but she was 12 when we rehomed her. Nobody wanted her and my wife and I took her in with no expectations and she suprised us and is an interlocked part of our family.

If you are thinking about a zon an older rehome may be the way to go because the hormone years have past and they seem to mellow out as they get older.

P.S. Cricket sat on my shoulder as I typed this thread like a good zon should.

Thanks Ray, that is great information. I feel like Nilah's hormones have kicked in, but since she isn't quite 3 yet, I guessits just a stage...or perhaps a preview? I hope it's not as bad as I've read...:( but whatever it will be, she is here to stay.

My Louie is 4 and I totally love him. If he does get cantankerous when he is 5 or 6, I think I can deal with it. Louie so wants to be loved and I try my best to understand him moods now, so now that I have read about the "Hot 3s," I think I will be able to get through whatever storms he may offer, at least I will try to understand him the best I can. Right now I will send out positive waves that Louie will be a mellow guy at 6-12 years. Fingers crossed!