NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Am I nuts?

Malikah

Thanks Janet and Nancy. I'm hoping the poor care she received in the past does not impact her expected lifespan of 40 to 60 years.....especially since she's already 40ish! We are going to love her as long as she can be kept comfortable and miss her terribly after she is gone.

Question for other owners of elderly birds: do they ever play? So far she has not shown any interest in anything except food.

When we rehomed Cricket she did not come with toys and I don`t think she ever had any. She was in a very small cage and the only thing she had was a swing and this old brass tub that she still has to this day that she still loves to play with.

It took over 2 1/2 years before she would play with anything but that tub even with all the toys in her cage. Than one day it was like she woke up and started playing with all her toys.

Never give up on the toys. Just make sure she has lots of them and then one day when you think she will never play with them you will here this banging from her cage and you will check to see what the noise is and you will see her haveing a good time. Just don`t give up.

Thanks Ray. I can't stand an empty cage, if she won't play with them at least they are decorations for me. :)

Kito has shown zero interest in getting very close to her so I have been leaving Scarlet's cage door open all day with the t-stand/rope perch I made for her attached. I'm trying to entice her to move around more so at least she has to go out of her cage to eat pellets.

My 'tiel (12 y.o. - not OLD, but "older") has NEVER been a player. I've rotated toys since day one and tried to get her to play with things with me, but she acts terrified of anything not food. The closest she does to playing is roosting on her swing at night, and picking on rings and jewelry when she's being held. I have tows nearly as old as she is with only one or two bite marks on even the softest bits.

My grey - (14 y.o., so also not 'old') is MUCH more active, but really only likes foot/floor toys and bells. Any other hanging toy has yet to really interest him.

My old budgie loved to beat the crap out of any and all toys.

They're all different. And some only play when we aren't looking. :D