NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Frozen fruits!!!

Mr. T

Has anyone else tried giving their birds frozen fruits and veggies? I saw a great post about this on one of the blogs I frequent (http://jamiesparrothelp.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/fruit-and-veggie-parrot-popsicles/) and decided to give it a try... so far everyone loves it! I was more interested in an alternative presentation for the grey because he can be really hit or miss when it comes to produce even when served as chop (sometimes I cheat and put some apple juice on his veggies) he will just dig until he finds what he wants. So I decided to try giving him a frozen grape because hes not a big fan of them straight from the fridge and sure enough he loved them. I also tried apples slices and baby carrots and he seems to like those as well but not as much as the grapes. So if you are looking for a good way to possibly reintroduce fruits and veggies they may not love maybe try them chopped and frozen?

5864676089_295391e06a.jpg

5865223582_eb9a800366.jpg

aww gotcha, our grey and macaw love otter pops frozen so I think they just assume it cold and tastes sweet so I should probably eat it! I have never tried giving them ice cream because I was always under the impression birds are lactose intolerant which is why you should be careful about which if any cheese you may give them. No problem so far though? I would imagine mine would love some icecream....

athena isn't thrilled with cold stuff and won't go near ice/ice cold. kallie loves playing with ice cubes, so i'll have to give this a try!! thanks for the info and idea!!! i do give the girls bits of cheese, sharp cheddar, provolone, and such, as well as yogurt. so far no problems and they love it (even get happy squeaks of approval from athena, lol)

Edited by thenabrd

Has anyone else tried giving their birds frozen fruits and veggies? I saw a great post about this on one of the blogs I frequent (http://jamiesparrothelp.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/fruit-and-veggie-parrot-popsicles/) and decided to give it a try... so far everyone loves it! I was more interested in an alternative presentation for the grey because he can be really hit or miss when it comes to produce even when served as chop (sometimes I cheat and put some apple juice on his veggies) he will just dig until he finds what he wants. So I decided to try giving him a frozen grape because hes not a big fan of them straight from the fridge and sure enough he loved them. I also tried apples slices and baby carrots and he seems to like those as well but not as much as the grapes. So if you are looking for a good way to possibly reintroduce fruits and veggies they may not love maybe try them chopped and frozen?

5864676089_295391e06a.jpg

5865223582_eb9a800366.jpg

I do use frozen fruits and veggies, but have always defrosted and or heated the veggies up. Never tried frozen, but my birds don't like anything except ice cream cold.
great great idea I had seen and heard of ideas of the frozen pureed fruits in the ice trays and was hoping to try them see if they tolerate the cold stuff. I had no idea you could give them lil tastes of yogurt or ice cream :eek: heck I dint know they could have sugar like that of a freezer pop .. thats what I love about these threads! I learn lots

oh and Gorgeous pics!

Your birds may not like the cold on their feet. If you made some frozen fruit pops from pureed fruit like strawberries, bananas, kiwi, peaches or cantaloupe and they saw you eating one they might want to join in. Frozen fruit pops can be made in the ice cube tray and for a stick handle use lollypop sticks either whole or cut in half. Make yourself a daiquiri or pina colada and freeze some before you add the rum.
great ideas :D

• 1 month later...

I ll ahave to try this with Archie as he has not eaten veg with me yet,also can we feed them tinned fruit??...Archi is very fussy and so are my family we dont like alot of fruit that Archie should have so i was wondering if i could buy tin fruit just to try him out on?