NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird Room Flooring

Talon

I am curious, what types of flooring do you have in your bird rooms? My birds share a room sor tof with my kids tv and video consoles they don't use much. Mostly my birds want to be with me. But my bird room (den) has a hard wood floor.

I have plastic officE mats under my cages, but hard wood elsewhere.

I have laminated wood floors throughout my home, except the bathrooms are tiled. Before I got my first parrot, I knew I wanted her flighted and to have full access to the house so carpet had to go. My three parrots have perches and swings in the corners and in front of windows throughout my home so the poo is normally contained in designated spots. Quick and easy clean up, as I am not a fan of poo!

My pet room is carpeted knowing that it will have to be replaced when we/the pets move out. Dry poop vacuums easily and I don't have to worry about hard landings when Spencer attempts flight. It's spotted, but it's a pet room. Also, bunnies are NOT fans of hardwood or tile, so as long as we have Maggie, we'll have the carpet. I DO have an office mat under Spencer's cage to catch most of the runoff from his water bowl antics, BTW.

Our birds are kept in a carpeted area ( really can't wait to tear it out ) but I use stall mats, under the cages and for a large portion of the area. They can be dragged out and hosed during the warmer months and fairly easy to clean during winter. I also use the stall mats for bunny flooring.

Gracie is in my former dining area just feet from my living room. It is carpeted. Despite that, Gracie only poops while in/on her cage or on her playstands which have papers below. Mess has been little problem. As she gets more adventurous and goes to other places I may have issues, but so far it's been a blessing in the cleaning department.

The trick with poop on carpet is to make sure NOT to rub it in. If a 'good' one, you can pluck it off with tissue/paper towel. If not, let it dry (don't step in it! ;) ) and deal with it then. If a veggie/watery poop, you're gonna have to blot to get it out, though. :D

I have carpet on the floor of the family room where the cages are but soon we hope to put down some kind of tile, I have plastic runners down under Josey's cage as she spends lots of time on top or around the sides, she occasionally prowls the skirt and poops over the side so it catches all of that, is easy to clean.

All of my birds are in the living room, and it is carpeted. Sometimes if they decide to be loud, and having yelling contests, I will go downstairs in the den to watch TV. I have the most issues with Barnaby's cage, and they mess he enjoys making. I took an old sheet, folded it a certain way, and put in underneath. When he is getting ready for bed, I pull it out, fold it up, take it outside to shake it out, and into the washing machine it goes! It has worked well for me so far :)