NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Simon's New House

Zoom

I ordered a new house for Simon about a month and a half ago. It finally arrived on Friday. We assembled it Friday night while all the birds watched attentively. Simon and I even got into it together for a few minutes during the assembly process.

I thought it might take him a few days to decide to move in, but he moved right in that same night. I think he really likes it.

I'm still experimenting with the placement of perches, and he's not sure of what route to take to get down to the floor, but he seems very happy in his new digs. His favourite perch is a little one that's up high on the inside of the door.

Your perch placement wisdom would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

(By the way, that small cage next to it is not his old cage - that's the lovebird's house. Simon and Oboe are neighbours.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=21434

attachment.php?attachmentid=21433

attachment.php?attachmentid=21435

What's beauty! I live to see greys Ina big cavelike that. I have found tat my 3 never care to go to the bottom of their cage. They always stay on the highest perches. I have te same swirly perches as you hung from the very top and they mostly stay there unless they go down to eat.

I also te wrap the smooth wooden perches tat come with the cage. It gives them a more secure sance when perching.

Very nice! And lucky for you Simon knows it, too. Really does take some of the fun out of a new cage when your fid doesn't want to move in.

Like how you've got it set up w/things going all the way from the top to the grate. But it does take some tweaking to figure out how to keep each level from getting as pooped on as possible. :P

Simon recognizes a good thing when he sees it and he gave it his stamp of approval, a nice big roomy cage, whats not to love, glad he took to it so readily and it might have helped that you were inside it at one point for it showed him it was large enough for his human owner to occupy though only for a short stint.

I think too that you will have to experiment with placement of perches and toys, trial and error works just fine.

Eshana, it's great. Nice and roomy. Simon's very happy in it. It seems to stay cleaner a lot longer too, since it's bigger.

There's a woman who wants to buy his old cage and she wants to keep a pair of DYH Amazons in it. One bird is 40 and the other is 35, so maybe they're fairly sedentary...but it seems like it would be pretty close quarters to me.

What a lovely new home for Simon, I am glad he went right in and made it his own. Not only am I not able to give any advice on the placement of your perches and toys.... I may copy some of yours! It just looks like a delightful place to spend time playing. Our cage is similar and in the beginning I put the ladders and boings all the way to the bottom but Gilbert was a little overwhelmed with it all, this seems like a perfect time to try it again. Thanks for the pictures, it is going to be my catalyst for some changes.

• 1 month later...