NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What is the best food for a grey?

greyturkey

I am wondering what the best food for an African Grey is i recently purchased my little grey turkey and the food that she is currently on is "Tropimix" I've included information below from the website. I'd like to switch her diet or add a new mix to it. She also gets a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegetables. ;) Just a reminder i am from Canada and some of the foods that are available in the states are not available here.

Also, are there any suppliers who will ship me out a bag of food to try with my grey as i noticed she is a picky girl!

Tropimix Large Parrot Mix

Tropican food stick-based formula with a natural blend of human-grade palatable grains, legumes, nuts, fruits and vegetables, as super premium food, 100% edible, no wasteful shells, for all macaws, cockatoos, African Grey. CONTAINS: Fruits: papaya, pineapple, banana, coconut, raisins Nuts: Brazil nut, almond, walnut Seeds: flaked corn, whole corn, milo, wheat, sunflower kernel, dehulled pumpkin seed Vegetables: carrot, potato Legumes: cooked soybean, cooked chickpea, cooked green split peas, peanut kernel Others: Tropican sticks which contain 8 grains and nuts with vitamins and minerals.

Protein: 12.5%, Fat: 12.0%, Fiber: 3.2%

Edited by greyturkey

Roudy bush will send out samples and so will harrisons Just tell them what kind of bird you have and how old and they will reply asking your address and they send a sample promptly. Roudy bush sent me a generous sample of pellet diet

I contacted Roudy Bush and they said they unable to send out samples to Canada. I am waiting for a response from Harrisons Thank youf for replying

Ashley.

Tropicmix is made by Hagen which is an excellent company for parrot food. If your bird is eating that, there's no reason to change. People change when their birdis totally refusing the present food. Any changes you wanna make should be in the fresh veggies area. As far as shipping, companies won't ship to other countries. They may put you in touch with canadian companies that also sell the same products. If you really need to change your bird's dry mix, try the ones that are available in your country.

Tropicmix is made by Hagen which is an excellent company for parrot food. If your bird is eating that, there's no reason to change. People change when their birdis totally refusing the present food. Any changes you wanna make should be in the fresh veggies area. As far as shipping, companies won't ship to other countries. They may put you in touch with canadian companies that also sell the same products. If you really need to change your bird's dry mix, try the ones that are available in your country.

She is eating what is in her food although i notice she picks alot of the stuff out and throws it to the bottom of her cage. I was thinking of adding to it to possibly give her more of an option so she doesn't throw everything down. She loves peanuts, and pieces of corn... is there ANYTHING i could add to improve her diet?

In addition to Dave's advice, know that birds, in general, are wasteful eaters. As a kid brought up to clean my plate and turn off lights, this was frustrating for me, but it's the way of it. Some products, like pellets and Nutraberries, aim to minimize the waste and ensure birds get what they need, not just what they want, but there's going to be things the bird tosses. My grey utterly refuses purple-colored pellets, my 'tiel shuns the red. And sometimes the Nutraberries crumble over the cage grate, not the food bowl. What are ya gonna do?

I'm from Canada too.

My grey eats lots of raw vegetables, sprouts, fruits, unsalted nuts example almonds, pine nuts, pistachios, walnuts, pecans. All organic. I also make my owner mashes and purchase Avian Organic cooked ones too. They are also located in Canada.

In terms of pellets I offer Harrisons High Potency Coarse.

For options where to purchase Pellets in Canada I recommend the following. Great service and great prices. YOu can just email your order in english at ouellet4@hotmail.com if you aren't able to read in french. The owner's name is Jacqueline and she is really wonderful to do business with. I think Most avian vet offices also sell Harrisons too.

http://lesjouetsrosie.com/magasin4/index.html

Here are a few other links for other places in Canada as well..

http://www.parrotdiseperch.com/parrot/index.php

http://www.featheredaddictions.com/

Edited by lovethatgrey