NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bridge/Ladder

Hi I've been asked to post instructions on how I made my bridge/ladder. I've made two bridges and I've attached a couple pictures of the finished products. Sorry I don't have better pictures. Basically you can make the width and length whatever you want.

Here are the materials you will need:

¾” PVC

½ PVC

¾” end caps

Paulie Rope

Vet Wrap

Here's how to do it:

1. Decide how long, how wide and what spacing you would like your ladder/bridge to be

2. Cut the ¾” PVC to be used as rungs. Cut to whatever length you desire

3. Cut the ½” PVC to be used for the spacers. The spacers should be spaced close enough so that your bird can walk from rung to rung or for more of a challenge set them further apart so your bird will have to grab a rung with his beak. Just don't make them too far apart.

4. Put the end caps on the PVC (tap the end caps with a rubber mallet to make sure they are on as far as they will go)

5. Using a vice to hold the capped pvc, drill a hole straight thru each of the capped PVC pieces. Try to drill the hole as straight across from each other as possible.

6. Wrap the PVC with vet wrap.

7. Alternate threading the paulie rope thru the capped pvc and the spacers. I ended using longer lengths of the ½” pvc on both ends.

Note: I used nylon rope from Home Depot which has worked out well. There is very little nylon exposed so I felt it was safe; however I could have used paulie rope or if I looked and found wire I could have used that too.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chili Mission 2.jpg

room looking back.jpg

Edited by fidsandfrats
  • Haha 1

When I get home I'll measure the rung space but I think they are about 4-5 inches apart. Yes it is hung by hooks from the ceiling joists and have had no problems with them not being strong enough.

thanks the room has changed in the past few months. All those scary branches and snake looking things (vines) have been removed because and the bird eating 5-legged octopus (ceiling fan) has been removed. Slater is much, much happier in the room now.

Edited by fidsandfrats

I have all the parts cut, end caps on, sanded the writing off, washed everything, just got back from Home Depot as I couldn't find my 1/4" drill bit....and my sisal rope is 1/4" . I just finished lunch and am off to do the hard part...drilling the holes...wish me luck! Will check back later for an update!

Okay, I finished my ladder. I made it quite long...it has 18 rungs, 4" apart (for Talon). OFf course, Nilah hasn't wasted anytime running across it! :) Talon was on it 1 time for a quick few seconds...Rikki may never go on it if I know her..:(

Ladder001.jpg

Ladder003.jpg