NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

weaning

carol

just wondering what weaning formulas people on here use after feeding hand rearing formula to there babies at 7 weeks old as im from the uk ,also what do u find is the best bedding to absorb there bodily fluids ,really interested in ur comments thankyou

I don't know about the formula but the breeder you got your grey from should know more about that. Don't be offended but what are you doing with an unweaned baby if you don't know much about the formulas, most reputable breeders won't sell an unweaned baby to an inexperienced person? Maybe give us a little more information and we may be able to help you.

I would think newspaper would be good to use, but several of the members have experience with hand raising and they can give you more exact info than I can. I got my grey at 16 weeks of age, fully weaned.

I don't use weaning formulas. I let mine eat baby food as long as they ask for it. I abundant wean.

Well ok had to edit my post. She is a breeder and just wondering if there was anything new out there.

Sorry again hun.<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2007/09/17 23:07

Hi Carol, as the others have asked, did you get your baby from a breeder ? no reputable breeder in the UK would sell an unweaned baby.I'm also sure this is not permitted & it's totally irresponsible behaviour on the breeders part. If you can give us some more information we will endeavour to help & advise you the best we can.

My Grey started eating Apple Sauce and blueberries for it's first foods. I'm sure you know how to wean so I won't go into any of that, but that seemed to be what worked best for mine. I also gave him cherries (pitted) and corn. From there I started mixing in a normal pellet diet with a little seed in the mix. My baby Grey was abundant weaned so he was about 15 weeks before he weaned, so yours being at 7 weeks should still be hand feeding for another 3 to 4 weeks from my understanding of the normal weaning times.

As for bedding I used aspen shavings with no sent...my breeder told me some horror stories about paper, paper products, and strong odor shavings (like pine) that he had been told by other breeders and told me to do what he did and heed the warnings...so no paper pellet stuff or strong smelling stuff. B)