NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gas fumes from the fireplace?

zandische

Now that the weather is turning...a new worry has begun to cross my mind. Do any of you have a gas fireplace that you run with your greys in the house?

We typically don't run the fireplace because gas is so expensive (and it doesn't put out much heat anyway, so it's mostly just for show) but sometimes we do like to curl up in front of the fire and relax.

Considering how sensitive parrots are to fumes/smells/vapors, do any of you have experience with gas fireplaces and your birds and do you have any information to share? Athena's cage is in the living room, about 20 feet from the fireplace. We always vent the air up the chimney, but I'm still worried about taking the chance.

Hi, i dont have a gas fire but i know a conventional gas fire discharges its fumes through a flue, or up the chimney as they contain harmful carbon monoxide. If in doubt i would invest in carbon monoxide detector, which is similar to a smoke alarm.

I know that the very new & modern flueless gas fires remove the carbon monoxide by using a catalytic converter.

I'm sure other members will be able to share their experiences with you :)

Thank you lovemyGreys! My fireplace does have a flue and we always burn it with the flue completely open (part of the reason the heat isn't very efficient) but I don't think it has a catalytic converter. I think maybe the carbon monoxide detector is a good idea...I just didn't want to inadvertently put bad fumes in the air.

• 7 months later...