NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage grates

I just wondered whether it's best to leave the bottom grate in the cage or not? I've read that greys like to play in the bottom of their cage and that it's better to leave out the grate for that purpose, any advice on this please? :confused:

Edited by rubys-mum

My fids like to play on the bottom of the cage which is why I leave my grates in the cage. A grate allows much of the food & poop to fall thru so the birds & their toys don't get into it. It also keeps the bird from foraging the food they've dropped that may have spoiled or fallen in poop.

Either answer is ok as I leave the grate in Josey's cage as she will occasionally go to the bottom and scratch around and you don't want them getting into their feces and spoiled food but if your bird never goes to the bottom to play or forage then you can leave it out, it is one more thing to clean if you do use it.

I have three parrots who don't go the bottom of their cages, so no grates. In the beginning my youngest CAG was at the bottom but as he has grown into a big boy, he no longer scratches around on the bottom. Of course, if any of my parrots develop the need to be floor walkers, the grates are still around.

I agree, it is really a matter of preference for the bird. My Too has his grate in, along with my parrotlet, and my tiels. My other birds do not. Kiwi, my Quaker, is in a pretty large cage, and she does not like to walk across the grate, so I lay down newspaper, and change it out 2 times a day just to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...