NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Buying a Grey on Craigslist

zoes mom

I would like some input on rescuing a CAG from Craigslist. I have been looking for another Grey to bring into our house for several months now. One came up last week nearby. I have a strange feeling about the owner, because she seems to be a bit odd. Her first story was that they were moving South and couldn't take their Grey with them. I spoke with her on the phone and we arranged a time for my family to come out and meet her (the Grey). A few minutes later the owner emailed me back and asked if it would be more convenient to meet them at a Wal-Mart store (which was half-way between our houses). That set off some bells in my head, it being the middle of winter and 20 degrees outside, but I still wanted to meet the Grey. I replied that it might be better to keep the bird at her house for the meeting because it was so cold outside. We weren't able to make the meeting because my husband didn't get home in time. When I asked to reschedule, the owner immediately told me the price had dropped $100 and I could have the Grey and her cage. I told her it wasn't the price. I explained how the entire family needed to meet her, because she was going to become a member of our family for life. The owner then told me someone was coming the next day with cash and I could call her up to such and such a time if I wanted her bird. I received another email from the owner today telling me the other buyer didn't come and I could have the Grey. We are going tomorrow night to meet her.

Here is my dilemna...Should I buy the Grey and get her out of that situation, even without knowing her personality? I feel that the owner just wants the cash and is willing to give her bird away to the first person through the door waving money around.

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated!

By the way, we have a CAG named Zoe who is 15, a cockatiel named Stewie (age 4), two Boxers and four cats.

Regards,

Arlene

Arlene, I think you should give this poor grey a chance. Times are tough and if this family needs money for their family/children well they might be desperate and this grey is their only source of "money." That is certainly not the grey's fault and this family needs a break. So focus on meeting this grey with an open mind and see if the grey might fit in your family. Good luck to you and this grey who needs to be loved.

i have no experience with craigs list. we heard about kallie's situation through our avian vet. i had told them that i'd be interested in rehoming/adopting a grey. several years passed and i'd about given up when the vet's office called to see if we were still interested in a grey. kallie's original owner passed away and the woman's family wasn't able to take in the 3 birds she had due to health issues of their own. we went through a screening type process and got to visit kallie often after they decided we were a good fit for her. 1 bird found a home right away. kallie and the other bird had never been an "only" bird, so we held off bringing kallie home until the last bird had found a new home and both birds (kallie and the other one) went to their new homes the same day.

as to your situation-

i don't know that you could judge the bird's personality in a true way if it's put up with a bad situation. it would be reacting based on what its been through. the big question is, are you willing and able to work with the bird that may very well have issues? if you can, then i say go for it. i say this based on the fact that over the years, we've had "rescue" dogs in our lives. they each came with problems and issues, but with love and patience, they turned out to be loving and great members of our family. you'd have never known the dogs had come from less than ideal situations with the way they transformed.

Well, I'm just speaking from my own experience here, but we adopted our Marcus through CL and we never met prior to bringing him home... I saw the ad, called for details, talked with my hubby, and a day or so later we were driving a distance to meet this mysterious new Grey. I felt so much adrenaline! I didn't know what was going to happen. But he was there, he had his cage, they didn't spend any time with him and he hadn't been let out of his cage in over three years--and we wanted a Grey. Done and done. He came home with us and there were some issues in the beginning, yes, but in no way do we regret our decision at all. Actually all of our parrots but our cockatiel came to us through Craig's List: Tybalt and Beaker both were meet-them-and-take-them-home-the-same-afternoon scenarios, too. I mean, really, what can you do? I know some people like to "test out" personalities and such, but my feeling is if you have the time and the desire and patience to care for a bird, if a bird you know needs a home, then what's really the issue? :) So in terms of your situation, I agree with luvparrots that it sounds like this Grey needs a new and loving home. If you want and think you can handle another Grey in your home, why not just jump in with both feet unless there is some overwhelming gut feeling that tells you to do otherwise? :)

Well, I'm just speaking from my own experience here, but we adopted our Marcus through CL and we never met prior to bringing him home... I saw the ad, called for details, talked with my hubby, and a day or so later we were driving a distance to meet this mysterious new Grey. I felt so much adrenaline! I didn't know what was going to happen. But he was there, he had his cage, they didn't spend any time with him and he hadn't been let out of his cage in over three years--and we wanted a Grey. Done and done. He came home with us and there were some issues in the beginning, yes, but in no way do we regret our decision at all. Actually all of our parrots but our cockatiel came to us through Craig's List: Tybalt and Beaker both were meet-them-and-take-them-home-the-same-afternoon scenarios, too. I mean, really, what can you do? I know some people like to "test out" personalities and such, but my feeling is if you have the time and the desire and patience to care for a bird, if a bird you know needs a home, then what's really the issue? :) So in terms of your situation, I agree with luvparrots that it sounds like this Grey needs a new and loving home. If you want and think you can handle another Grey in your home, why not just jump in with both feet unless there is some overwhelming gut feeling that tells you to do otherwise? :)

I guess I am over-thinking this thing. All of our other pets came home the same day we met them, and they've all been with us for years. I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow night. Who knows...I might be posting a picture of our new family member!

Hi there!

I got my Timneh and Congo both online, they were both advertised on CL and Ebay Classifieds. I will say that I commend you for saying "stay home" its cold out, this not only is a great thing for the bird, but for you to see what kind of environment the bird has been living in. When I went in to see my timneh, his cage had been cleaned, and everything looked prestine... but I also got to see the environment where he was living. Was he scared of the people in the household? Were there Glade Plug Ins in every room? What did his droppings look like? We had our TAG in fifteen minutes, and to be honest got lucky. There aren't alot of happy endings that could end up that way. There are a lot of issues could have happened. My rule of thumb when shopping for anything on the internet, just because you show up to look, doesn't mean you HAVE to buy it.

With our Congo, I actually asked the owner not to clean up his cage etc, I wanted to see what health issues there might be. It also gave me a chance to see he had been given fresh greens and an over abundant supply of rice cakes. We spent an hour with him and I paid attention to his under side, any sign of plucking, droppings, aggression towards the husband (that later made sense) etc.

The main thing that I would offer is, listen to your gut! You will know what a right fit is or not. You never know, the bird might not even like you.

Good Luck! Re-Homing a bird is the hardest job, you will ever love.

I agree with the others. Meeting a bird may or may not show you it's actual personality. We have a rehomed amazon, she was wonderful at first meeting, in fact i visited with her several times before bringing her home. I cleaned her cage, bathed her and then went to put her in her cage well, all Hell broke loose. She turned into an attack bird within seconds. Once in her cage we could not get her out again. It has taken alot of patience and time to earn trust with her. She is still a very nervous bird but has made great strides! I say if you have te time, patience, desire and money to take on another bird then go for it! You will never know what this bird has been through and what could possibly set it off. It may come home and just fit right in however chances are it will be a process. It's great to get to see the enviroment he is coming from it may give you clues as how to proceed. Good luck and let us know what happens. Pictures are always welcome!!

I wouldn't give it a second thought! This woman who doesn't care about the welfare of her bird or who gets it? that bird needs a rescue. I dont believe in worrying about a birdand whether it "fits" into a family. All birds will adapt, and personalty conflicts dont exist in the manner you are thinking.

We also have 2 CAGS that we adopted from Craigslist. Both have turned out greyt. Annie has social issues, and only takes to me, but she is coming around to the Mrs slowly, and I do expect them to get along in time. Lucy is a very hyper CAG. She gets along with everyone, even the kids, and loves to play rough. She never punctures the skin by any means, but loves play time. She loves when I toss her off of my hand/arm to fly. I count to 3 and then toss her, and she now takes off before I even toss her on the 3 count. Yes it takes time, yes it take patience, but in the end, we gave both of them a great home, and they are very much a part of the family.

Everyone has GREAT advice. The family, DOES sound shady. Again... you rescuing this bird, is very important. BUT.... if you are interested in a bird that meets your needs and desires, this bird may not be what you had in mind. When it comes to a rehome, or rescue bird, I do believe the bird picks you. May require a few visits. Everyone of our birds picked us. You just " know!" Don't let them rush you. If you need to meet the bird again, ask them! Nancy