NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What do you think about Lixit Water Bottles?

Morana

I was under the impression that there couldn't be slime or debris in the bottle because that is kinda the whole point of it, right? That should be the advantage before usual water cups. Zaks cup gets slimy in about 1 day (in the summer) if he drops fruit/veggies in it (and he does) and I wished that would stop with this Lixit Water Bottle. So, guys, advise me before I start shopping.

I'm not a fan of water bottles. In my experience they were difficult to clean, dripped and I had a fid who got its toes stuck when it was playing acrobird. I used to put food on one side of the cage and water as far and high as I could get it on the other. Moving the water up and away helped me.

Wow, so much different answers.. Tnx guys for answering:-) I'm asking about this specific bottle because I heard many good things about it but then the woman I wanted to buy it from told me that it isn't so peachy. With regular bottles, I also experienced water dripping, and stuff getting clogged on nipples and Zak actually hasn't been using it really. The Lixit one is supposed to have fixed those problems, at least I was under that impression. I thought about Lixit as the top bottle for birds. Am I wrong? Does anyone has that bottle home? Have you all been writing about that bottle or maybe ones for rabbits or something?

Yes, I use the Lixit bottles. It is the exact same one that Vumes uses. I did have a problem once with the water leaking out but that was my fault for improperly filling it. It is best if you fill it up all the way when you refill. I didn't and it wasn't sealed properly so the water leaked out until the bottle was empty. It's also good to check each time that the ball is at the end of the tube and not stuck up inside. My breeder said she had a bird sitter once who didn't do that and the ball had become stuck so the bird could not access the water.

I, too, have that same Lixit bottle. I've had no problems with leaking at all. I do, however, also keep a bowl of water in Amali's cage so it is up to her which source of water she goes to. I did this so that if (when) she dunks her food and makes a mess out of her water bowl, she would still have a clean source of drinking water to go to during the day when I'm at work. This seems to work for us as Amali will use both the bottle and the bowl.

I personally worry that people will forget to thoroughly sanitize these bottles on a daily basis or not bother.

Then there's the possibility that they may get clogged too. I know a few owners who use them but also provide stainless steel bowls of water too. Water is crucial. More so than food.