NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm afraid I have to give up my Blue Crown Conure...

Carms025

We got Woody when he was a baby in 1998. He was a little aggressive and only liked my dad. I was in high school at the time and my brother was in middle school. Over the years, his personality lightened up and even my mom (who he liked the least) could flip him over in her lap and play with him. Well when my brother and I went off to college, neither of us could take him with us. My parents travel alot so over the years, he hasn't gotten the attention that he use to. Now he only likes me and tries to bite everyone else. I don't know how to make him sweet again, nor do I have the time since I'm in medical school in a different city and he is at home with my parents... I'm also getting married this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? If not, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give him away but I would rather give him to a bird enthusiast than someone who won't take care of him and give him a good home.

Well, the situation concerning you, your mom and dad, you going away to college, not spending much time with him, you getting married soon and leaving, are the most common reasons that people rehome their bird/birds. Retraining an adult bird is difficult. He must be about 12 yrs old now. You say that nothing's gonna change so my opinion is to try and rehome your bird to an experienced bird person. I know it's sad but I can't see how things could get better.

There are some people here who own conures that may take your bird but I don't know who.

The first thing you would have to do is give the board an idea where you live. If people are close they may contact you. Good luck and become a good MD.

Just wanted to say sorry you are having to go through this, and you are a good parront for wanting to find a great home, and not just sticking him on Craigslist. I wish you, and your little conure the best. Please post where you live, and hopefully someone will be close to you, and able to contact you. Good luck to you both!

Thanks everyone. I am sad but I want him to be happy and I feel like he is like this because of our situation at home. I live in Atlanta, GA and I would be willing to give him away to someone with experience with conures. Please let me know if anyone knows a bird lover that could potentially take him. He is an awesome bird and I love him and will probably cry but I don't feel like I can provide what he needs.