NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Questions Questions Questions ....

aerial.2000

Hello all you wonderfully knowledgeable people. I have been browsing this forum for maybe a week or so now, reading and absorbing as much as I can.

Here are my questions

What do you all do when you are preparing dinner? Do you have your birds in your kitchen while you are cooking? I have read the dangers of the teflon being extremely toxic for parrots. So, do I just keep mine in a different room while Im cooking?

I hope this doesnt sound like a dumb question. I am just worried as I browse my cooking utensils and seeing all the teflon pots n pans and cookie sheets I have and am now worried. How far away should they be kept?

And as long as I am on the "toxins" worries, can someone also fill me in on the scented candles or candle warmers? If one is burning in a different room is it still dangerous? I dont obviously want to take any chances when my baby comes home.

Any ideas and help would be awesome.

Thanks so much

Ofcourse as soon as I posted this I found a huge thread on the teflon/aresol warnings ...

looks like the best idea is to buy stainless steel :D which I will be looking into !!!!!!! if you have any other advice Id love to listen!

Edited by aerial.2000

The dangers in the kitchen go beyond teflon. I'll just give my "lesson learned" example. When I first got my little Hahn's macaw he (who turned out to be a she) was with me all the time. I had Paco on my shoulder while I was cooking. I was stirring the gravy in a frying pan when Paco flew down and landed smack dab in the middle of the pan. He screamed. I screamed. I ran him to the sink and turned the water on and held his feet under the cold water. (He bit the CRAP out of my forearm. I still have a scar but I didn't feel it at the time. I didn't notice it until later.) That cured me from having my feathered friends in the kitchen around any burning element.

Yes, I'd definitely invest in some stainless steel cookware. It's healthier for you, too. Also don't forgot about wafflemakers, muffin tins, and cake pans that could all be coated in teflon. The automatic oven cleaning option on ovens is also toxic to our Greys. I find it works well to put my Grey girls up while I cook and eat. I feed them their cooked soft foods at this time of day, which gives them a break and lets them eat dinner, too!

Barbara is absolutely right. Sorry you had to experience that though, Barbara. The kitchen is a VERY dangerous place for our fids. Better to keep them caged while you have the stove on to avoid a possibly life threatening accident. Also, as far as teflon, and other things in the home that are harmful, it is better to avoid these things all together. It will be a big change at first, but believe me, you will get used to it before you know it, and you wont have to worry about hurting your fids.

Yes, I'd definitely invest in some stainless steel cookware. It's healthier for you, too. Also don't forgot about wafflemakers, muffin tins, and cake pans that could all be coated in teflon. The automatic oven cleaning option on ovens is also toxic to our Greys. I find it works well to put my Grey girls up while I cook and eat. I feed them their cooked soft foods at this time of day, which gives them a break and lets them eat dinner, too!
Oh I didnt know it was healthier to cook on even so there is like a bonus to it. I just gotta learn how to cook on it. My son is moving out so I offered him my nonstick paula deen set for $50 to put towards the new stainless cook ware. And yes I even thought of the bakeware stuff :( that will all go to my friend he'll have to be my muffin maker and cupcake maker! I just got a foreman grill for xmas that I will only use outside now (cuz I just cant part with it) and my neighbor is going to make me like a lil cooking gazebo so it'll be my lil outside kitchen :D I spent all last nite obsessing on what needs to go lol! I dont wanna take ANY chances. Thats a great idea to feed the baby in his cage WHILE Im going to be cooking so they are occupied. I love hearing great ideas! thanks so much

Barbara is absolutely right. Sorry you had to experience that though, Barbara. The kitchen is a VERY dangerous place for our fids. Better to keep them caged while you have the stove on to avoid a possibly life threatening accident. Also, as far as teflon, and other things in the home that are harmful, it is better to avoid these things all together. It will be a big change at first, but believe me, you will get used to it before you know it, and you wont have to worry about hurting your fids.

smiles yes I imagine im a wee bit "change resistant" but I also found a thread on the home made cleaning products and things that I will begin to use now so Im a pro by the time my baby gets home! :D I so excited thanks for all the useful tips!

Great advice given already! I changed to all stainless steel, and amvery used to it. Of course non sticking is easierto clean,but I think of the toxic chemicals WE are feeding ourselves, and I don't miss it all. I have a tree stand, baskets with handles (that I use for potty baskets) on my counter away from the stove and various hanging items for them to stay on when I am cooking. I never take my eyes off the stove or them. They are all fully flighted.

I prefer to allow them that special time to eat with me at the table, and they so look forward to it, I don't want to feed them I their cage. I have taught all my birds what HOT is, they do understand what it means as there have been times when dinner was a bit hotter than they like, so they understand as I use the word, HOT when they experienced that and now they wait for me to give it to them.

I did however have a terrible accident one night cooking. Rikki my cag loves to perch on my shoulder as I cook and watch. I was making pasta and had a pot of water boiling on the back burner. I went to the cupboard to get a box of pasta, and forgetting that Rikki has a hatred of boxes with small noisy things inside, as I was pouring the pasta into the pan, she dive bombed the box to attack it! As she did, 1/2 her body hit the boiling water....I screamed, thru the pasta box, slid the pan off the burner to the sink to dumb the water out quickly, spilling it all over the front of my legs. Then off to find her. I was sooo upset and scared to see what she looked like. She was wet, and seemed okay, but I am sure she was hurting. I tried to comfort her, but she mostly wanted to preen. I watched her closely the rest of the Iget and she seemed ok.

After that, I kept her in her cage when I cooked. Then after a few weeks, I softened, let her stay out and had my kids eyeing her all the time when I coked. Slowly, I allowed her back onto my shoulder, and she REALLY understands HOT! DANGER DANGER when I tell her. But when I am about to put anything in than, I put her down or turn away from the stove and do it sideways...

Most of the time the only bird I have in the kitchen when cooking is my sun conure as she is a constant companion and does not try to get into pots on the stove, my grey will sometimes join me in the kitchen but she stays on a playstand, my tiel I cannot have in the kitchen when cooking as she does fly around and could land in a pot so she stays out.

My conure has never tried to get into pots but she did want in the sink one time when washing up some dishes, she is fond of hanging off my shirt when she wants to get to something so she was hanging over the water and she must have let go for she ended up in the dishwater but it wasn't that hot at the time and I quickly retrieved her and ever since she has avoided that situation.

I also didn't know about the stainless steel! Thanks guys! Sophie LOVES to be in the kitchen when I cook also. She is allowed in, if I'm baking, but if I boil.... she gets put on her gym, hall doorway is closed. Of course, once dinner is done, doorway gets opened. She can join us. She LOVES her small dish of pasta without sauce of course. A small piece of garlic bread is her favorite. ( I hope garlic is okay for birds, since it is her favorite!) Let me know guys about garlic. Nancy

don't forget about cast iron!!! when seasoned properly, its fairly "stick free". i love my cast iron and stainless steel both, but for some stuff, i prefer my cast iron!!!
I have thought about looking into atleast a Large frying pan that is cast iron my problem is my stove top is ceramic and if its too heavy and i drop it I could break it and Id hate for that to happen ...

Great advice given already! I changed to all stainless steel, and amvery used to it. Of course non sticking is easierto clean,but I think of the toxic chemicals WE are feeding ourselves, and I don't miss it all. I have a tree stand, baskets with handles (that I use for potty baskets) on my counter away from the stove and various hanging items for them to stay on when I am cooking. I never take my eyes off the stove or them. They are all fully flighted.

I prefer to allow them that special time to eat with me at the table, and they so look forward to it, I don't want to feed them I their cage. I have taught all my birds what HOT is, they do understand what it means as there have been times when dinner was a bit hotter than they like, so they understand as I use the word, HOT when they experienced that and now they wait for me to give it to them.

I did however have a terrible accident one night cooking. Rikki my cag loves to perch on my shoulder as I cook and watch. I was making pasta and had a pot of water boiling on the back burner. I went to the cupboard to get a box of pasta, and forgetting that Rikki has a hatred of boxes with small noisy things inside, as I was pouring the pasta into the pan, she dive bombed the box to attack it! As she did, 1/2 her body hit the boiling water....I screamed, thru the pasta box, slid the pan off the burner to the sink to dumb the water out quickly, spilling it all over the front of my legs. Then off to find her. I was sooo upset and scared to see what she looked like. She was wet, and seemed okay, but I am sure she was hurting. I tried to comfort her, but she mostly wanted to preen. I watched her closely the rest of the Iget and she seemed ok.

After that, I kept her in her cage when I cooked. Then after a few weeks, I softened, let her stay out and had my kids eyeing her all the time when I coked. Slowly, I allowed her back onto my shoulder, and she REALLY understands HOT! DANGER DANGER when I tell her. But when I am about to put anything in than, I put her down or turn away from the stove and do it sideways...

yanno that is totally amazing to hear that they understand like that. I am making a playgym/perch on rollers for her to kinda bring her from like room to room while Im doing things so maybe if i just barely bring him into the doorway where he can least see me he'll stay on the perch and talk to me :D (least that is what I hope to train him to do) I dont want him to get hurt at all by boiling water. Im glad your baby is ok :D

Most of the time the only bird I have in the kitchen when cooking is my sun conure as she is a constant companion and does not try to get into pots on the stove, my grey will sometimes join me in the kitchen but she stays on a playstand, my tiel I cannot have in the kitchen when cooking as she does fly around and could land in a pot so she stays out.

My conure has never tried to get into pots but she did want in the sink one time when washing up some dishes, she is fond of hanging off my shirt when she wants to get to something so she was hanging over the water and she must have let go for she ended up in the dishwater but it wasn't that hot at the time and I quickly retrieved her and ever since she has avoided that situation.

that is good that she wasnt hurt! I also plan on letting mine be able to fly a bit in the house but with plenty of supervision and restrictions to some places to land and/or poop lol

I also didn't know about the stainless steel! Thanks guys! Sophie LOVES to be in the kitchen when I cook also. She is allowed in, if I'm baking, but if I boil.... she gets put on her gym, hall doorway is closed. Of course, once dinner is done, doorway gets opened. She can join us. She LOVES her small dish of pasta without sauce of course. A small piece of garlic bread is her favorite. ( I hope garlic is okay for birds, since it is her favorite!) Let me know guys about garlic. Nancy

I dont know nothing about garlic :( I didnt even know they could eat bread. Im so excited to be learning so many new things!

So heres another question? I have read lots that parrots or greys are uhm scared (for lack of a better word) of like new things, new toys, new people etc........ what about the vacuum, blender, hair dryer? Loud noises? is it something that after the first time they hear it they get used to it? Any ideas on introducing your bird to loud noises and not scaring them?

Everyone has given you great advice so far about the kitchen. I second everything they've said. :) As far as the vacuum, I believe that if you don't make it a big deal, then it won't be a big deal. My Chickie just came home at the beginning of December. The first time I vacuumed the carpet with her on her stand I just went about it like it wasn't a big deal at all...and that's how she took it too. I even vacuum around her tree with her on it and she could care less. Every bird is different though, so it will be more about learning how your little one reacts at first. That's one of the bonuses of getting a baby, I think, is that you can introduce them to all kinds of new things that they don't have any associations with, negative especially, like a rehomed bird may. If you're worried or anxious, they pick up on it-so, just be yourself and go about life as ususal and they won't know any difference. Chickie accepts whatever I'm doing because it's not a big deal so it's a nonevent. I'm definitely no expert, but that's the philosophy I have taken with my little girl so far, and it has worked pretty well. Oh, there's NEVER a dumb question!! :) Don't ever worry about that. How could you take advantage of all the expertise, myself NOT included, here if you never asked?? :) I am a newbie myself to greys and I have never seen anyone here get mad about questions, they are always more than happy to help and share info. :)

Edited by Life is Greyt

Everyone has given you great advice so far about the kitchen. I second everything they've said. :) As far as the vacuum, I believe that if you don't make it a big deal, then it won't be a big deal. My Chickie just came home at the beginning of December. The first time I vacuumed the carpet with her on her stand I just went about it like it wasn't a big deal at all...and that's how she took it too. I even vacuum around her tree with her on it and she could care less. Every bird is different though, so it will be more about learning how your little one reacts at first. That's one of the bonuses of getting a baby, I think, is that you can introduce them to all kinds of new things that they don't have any associations with, negative especially, like a rehomed bird may. If you're worried or anxious, they pick up on it-so, just be yourself and go about life as ususal and they won't know any difference. Chickie accepts whatever I'm doing because it's not a big deal so it's a nonevent. I'm definitely no expert, but that's the philosophy I have taken with my little girl so far, and it has worked pretty well. Oh, there's NEVER a dumb question!! :) Don't ever worry about that. How could you take advantage of all the expertise, myself NOT included, here if you never asked?? :) I am a newbie myself to greys and I have never seen anyone here get mad about questions, they are always more than happy to help and share info. :)
Super super ideas! I think that is what I will do too just go about my normal cleaning stuff and talk to my baby as im doing it and make it the norm for him as well :D I can see how they could pick up on your axious behaviours as well. I too am SO excited to be getting him as a baby as well (well I say him lol I dont know yet if its a him or her) the store owners said it would be the best thing for a new owner to have get the parrots as a baby! and thanks for answering all my questions. Im just taking it ALLLLLLL in trust me! Slowly I am starting to make the changes in my home to get used to them so they are like second nature once the wee one gets home!

Between the fat from the butter and the garlic I would skip garlic bread. Give her pasta and top it with a fruit and pepper salsa.
lol that sounds good nuff for me to eat too ;)

Each bird will act differently to noise loud or soft so you could start to vacuum in a different room so they get to know the noise.

Our amazon will take her bath when ever she hears the wife vacuum. Corky our CAG does not care one way or the other.

Vacuuming in my house is perfectly fine, except for with Charlie, my Sun Conure. She absolutely HATES the vaccum! As soon as she sees me come around the corner with it to plug it in, she screams her little head off, and will do this until I am done, and it is out of sight. She did the same in her previous home, from what the owners told me. I have found that it helps to yell out "LOUD NOISE" when I am getting ready to do something loud like vacuuming, banging on something, ect.

Start off getting your fid used to it by saying the words, then bang on something intentionally. After awhile they will connect these words and the noise that follows. It just gives them a little heads up, this way there is no element of surprise.

athena used to do that too when we'd vacuum!! we always reassured her everything was ok, etc, but she'd go into peach front conure alarm mode!! over the years, we've had several different brands/colors of vacuums (we had huskies, so they wore out fast, lol). the vacuum we have now, she "accepts", no more alarm mode, not a peep! i don't know if its the brand or the color or what exactly that caused the change for her!!

kallie doesn't mind the vacuum at all, but we do have to explain other loud noises and tell her its ok, ex. thunder, hammering, strong wind, sounds from the basement, etc. she's doing better with the loud inside sounds, but still gets nervous with the sounds from outside. she's learning though!

Vacuuming in my house is perfectly fine, except for with Charlie, my Sun Conure. She absolutely HATES the vaccum! As soon as she sees me come around the corner with it to plug it in, she screams her little head off, and will do this until I am done, and it is out of sight. She did the same in her previous home, from what the owners told me. I have found that it helps to yell out "LOUD NOISE" when I am getting ready to do something loud like vacuuming, banging on something, ect.

Start off getting your fid used to it by saying the words, then bang on something intentionally. After awhile they will connect these words and the noise that follows. It just gives them a little heads up, this way there is no element of surprise.

That is what I figured I would do was to tell them what I was gonna do and like coach them thru it and then slowly try not to make it as big of a deal the next time and hope they get used to it when they find it wont hurt them :) good thing most of my house is hardwood floors w/out a few area carpets needing vacuumed :D

athena used to do that too when we'd vacuum!! we always reassured her everything was ok, etc, but she'd go into peach front conure alarm mode!! over the years, we've had several different brands/colors of vacuums (we had huskies, so they wore out fast, lol). the vacuum we have now, she "accepts", no more alarm mode, not a peep! i don't know if its the brand or the color or what exactly that caused the change for her!!

kallie doesn't mind the vacuum at all, but we do have to explain other loud noises and tell her its ok, ex. thunder, hammering, strong wind, sounds from the basement, etc. she's doing better with the loud inside sounds, but still gets nervous with the sounds from outside. she's learning though!

I never even thought about the noises outside like thunder lol

Thanks to to education I got here, I always tried to warn Dorian before a starting a loud noise, or carrying something into the room like a big box, since he was extremly high-stung and would startle off his perch and fly into something. Now he's much more confident and looks to me for assurance if something scares him. I think having a baby you'll have the opportunity of exposing her to a whole world of experiences and things while she's young.

As for candles, I just removed them all. Get a few of the good quality LED faux candles (the cheap ones don't fool anyone). I don't use air fresheners at all, in any form, because I'm actually very sensitive to them. Just like the fumes from teflon pans, I figure if they're not good for our birds, they're not good for us. High marks for you because of the research you're doing before bringing your fid home. Sounds like you're going to be a great parront!

Thanks to to education I got here, I always tried to warn Dorian before a starting a loud noise, or carrying something into the room like a big box, since he was extremly high-stung and would startle off his perch and fly into something. Now he's much more confident and looks to me for assurance if something scares him. I think having a baby you'll have the opportunity of exposing her to a whole world of experiences and things while she's young.

As for candles, I just removed them all. Get a few of the good quality LED faux candles (the cheap ones don't fool anyone). I don't use air fresheners at all, in any form, because I'm actually very sensitive to them. Just like the fumes from teflon pans, I figure if they're not good for our birds, they're not good for us. High marks for you because of the research you're doing before bringing your fid home. Sounds like you're going to be a great parront!

smiles at Parront! Love it :D I really do just wanna provide the best things for my baby to help it grow and be the most amazing bird. Heres a stupid question and I reckon you can laugh if'n you want ... but what does FID mean? I see it alot and its just another thing I dont know about yet *blushes*

I remember back in the day when "chat" first came out and I was oblivious of all the little shortcuts and abbreviations like "LOL", I thought when I went into the chat room and everyone was typing lol around me that it meant Loser on Line and I was sooooooo so upset !!!!!! Until ofcourse I found someone I trusted to ask what it really meant HAHAHAH.

And thanks for the support ... I just turned my house into a NO SMOKING zone and hubby and I have quit smoking (on day 2 right now) I will take all the scented stuff out of the house closer to when the baby is due to come home (actually trying to use them up quickly) I have 2 ppl that will buy my teflon pot/pan sets and i will be buyin the stainless steel ones come March when I go and make my first trip to visit my baby :D so slowly ... things will all be in place and flowing well before my baby gets home :D