NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi! I am Zandra

I my name is Zandra and I am new when it comes to the parrot world! I rescued Charlie, (5years old) from someone who did not deserve to have him, about 6 weeks ago. Locked up in a cage andpadlock and only had sunflower seeds the whole day... I took Charlie home, bought him a big new cage and hubby made him the biggest perch (jungle gym) and Charlie is eating lots of veggies, fruit etc, now and loves it... He is really getting used to me now, but I can see that trust is still and issue and I am willing to wait a long time if that is what it takes to make Charlie trust me... Any ideas what would help? He does not allow anyone to touch him yet.....

And then 5 days ago, I walked into a petshop and saw the most beautiful little angel in a very dirty cage, and old food stuck to her feathers!. She is now 11 weeks ( I named her Lucy). I persuaded the owner to cell Lucy to me as I know that I would take much better care of her... I cleaned her up real nice, and also introduced soft veggies to her.. No pellets or seeds as yet. She had a check up with the Vet and is so happy with her new "flock" and is really doing well.....

I hope this is a good summary of my history with Charlie and Lucy, and as I am still new at this, please expect allot of questions from me! Kindest Regards, Zandra

Congrats on your ready made grey family. In six weeks you are doing exceptionally well to get Charlie to eat healthy food. We have a rehomed older Timneh, maybe close to ten years of age. He has been with us a year in March and we still have trouble getting him to try veggies. Gilbert is only just now permitting a scratch on the head, when it is his idea, preferably when he has ready access to an escape plan. Lucy will be a good role model since she is so young and she will be more accepting of your touch. Maybe Charlie will see that and want to enjoy more of the same. If that works for you, I may have to get a friend for Gilbert. Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of people here with answers for all sorts of situations. Thanks for joining us so we can learn from your experiences as well.