NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

OK Gwen as you requsted

Ray P

The differance between a grey and a zon as seen by me.

First things first, there are two species of greys the tag and the cag and there are over 30 zon species.

The tag and the cag are not that differant, but the tag is said to be more easy going that the cag.

The amazons personality is kind of all over the place depending on the specie.

The amazon personality between species IMO is in general terms.

Corky my cag has been with us all her life except for the first 14 weeks and she was eleven inDecember.

Cricket my blue fronted zon is 16 and she has been with us for 3 years and you could call her a rehome, reacue.

Corky our cag is very out going when it comes to people and places and I think it`s because she has always tralved with us all her life. She has been all over the country with us and has stayed in hotels, motels, friends homes, relatives homes and our camper and she is ok with new and defferant people.

Cricket is very laid back and is kind of a one person bird that is me but she has bonded with the wife and my son and will go to them to eat and play.

I think zons get a bad rap because people just don`t take the time to know them and they are so easy to read.

My grey is the clown and my zon is comming around to be a clown.

Greys and amazons have a mold and mine don`t fit their mold.

First of all... Thanks for getting back to me !!! 30 different species of Zons ??? Are the ones here on the forum the same as yours ?? (Cricket) Do Zons have the same ability for talking as Greys?? Also, are Zons the same level of intelligence as Greys??

Why do Zons get a bad rap?? The ones here on the forum seem to be clowns !!! As far as being easy to read, man oh man, my grey is extremely difficult... Do Zons pin & fluff like greys??

Sorry, just curious :)

Hi Gwen, If you check back to my post Honored Amazons I have a list of caregivers and their zons and zon species on this forum.

Amazons are compared to greys when it comes to talking.

IMO zons get a bad rap because people do not take the time to know them and they can be very nippy and when they bite they can do danage. They are said to be very hormonal at mating time.

I found that if you take the time with a zon like you do with a grey they turn out to be great companions.

My Cricket came with issues or at least they said she had issues and turned out to be the love of my life and that does not take away from my love of my grey.

And yes they do fluff and pin and do a lot of the same things as a grey

They are two parrots so differant yet so much alike.

I hope this helps.

this is a usefull topic:)

I'm very interested in a blue fronted amazon. I like their enthusiasm:D But I heard there not as social as a grey.

If a grey bite is just because you did something wrong or he's afraid. Very easy. Is an amazon as innocent as a grey? And are they as intelligent? Can you learn them tricks, like my timneh can?

Don't worry, I'm not going to buy an amazon:) Just a dream, for when I'm older.

Oh, this is going to be a very fun thread....I find the amazon to be quite different from the african grey. I have a timneh & a congo AG. they are both different in the way that Ray explained, my timneh is very easy going and laid back, but a joker! My cag is a nervous bird, very moody, but quite the cuddler! Both talk very well, but it is on THEIR terms, not mine. They have a mind of their own and spend a lot of time observing other. Not very friendly to strangers, and very quiet when someone enters the house.

My amazon, A yellow crowned nape, is a whole different ball game! She is very smart, picks up words after 2 or 3 times hearing it. She is very outgoing, and doesn't think twice about flying on any visitors shoulders, and expressing her delight by showing off her vocabulary as she sits there. She is super easy to teach tricks too, it doesn't even require giving her a treat, in fact, she will turn down a treat in exchange for my excitement and applause when she does what I ask of her. Example: I taught her to do a "flip" after 1 try. She perches on her rope perch in her cage, and she will spin forward, down and back up again making a full circle. She does it on cue every time, and wants my applause and praise after.

She calls me "BIRD" and will say "Hi Bird" when she hears me answer back. She knows the word, No and does listen when I tell her No. We can have a dialogue back and forth at times, she will come to me when I call her. My greys are too good for those type of antics! I find her very easy to read, whereas my greys are a bit more difficult to know what is going on in their mind. My amazon wears her heart on her wing, and you always know what she is thinking or considering doing before she does it.

But...she is a handful, she is 2 1/2 and has to be watched like a 2 year old toddler....if it's quiet, we look for her because she's usually doing something we wouldn't want. But if she's humming....you KNOW she is into something she shouldn't be and she knows it!

I lOVE my greys, and they are so much fun to have, but my amazon keeps us laughing every day! She is a clown and a show off! YES, she can bite, and she will remind you of that, but if you watch her eyes, you will see it coming and can stop her before it happens if you are quick in your warning. I LOVE the way they pin their eyes when they are frightened, angry or they LOVE what they are eating!

Sorry this is sooo long...:(

The more I read about Amazons on this forum, the more certain I am that in a previous life, I was an Amazon. The bird, not the statuesque matriarchs. LOL. Well, maybe that fits too. I saw only one Amazon in my life and I almost took her home, but couldn't until we got back the necropsy to discover the illness that had taken our baby grey. By that time, I knew the second one in the same clutch needed care, and then along came Gilbert when I needed him and I just live vicariously through the other amazons in this forum. Thanks so much for educating us on the joys and challenges of your Amazons.

Thank you, Thank you.... Yes, this is helpful. It also seems that those of you who have Zons, also have Greys. Is it possible that with the mix that each don't seem to fit the mold???

I don't know about the 'mix' and fitting into the mold. But if I was to analyze your question, I think those of us that already have any type of bird, have done so much research, that we are way more intuned to any species, thus able to read and interact with them in a manner that an 'amazon only' owner wouldn't. We are more understanding to birds and their needs. I feel that when you meet their needs as much as possible, you have happier birds and way less problems that others with an 'amazon only' may experience. Just my humble opinion.......

We had Corky our cag for eight years before Cricket our bfa came to live with us, that was three years ago.

They both adjusted very well to each other and I think it`s because we have had cockatiels for 40 years so Corky has been around other birds all her life (eleven years) and Cricket came from a multi bird family so they both have been around other bird species. I don`t know if that made any differance.

Comparing zons and greys, in my opinion, two different types of parrots. The same as Cags and Tags, two different types of greys. I find my greys to be more "me, me, me" types of companions, introverts if you like. Now my zon is certainly an extrovert. He is very cautious, but then he was rejected by the females in his last home. He does want to be my friend and tries very hard to please me by watching me and following my words very closely. He loves to play and is full of energy. If you want an intelligent and cerebral parrot, get a grey. If you want a parrot that is full of life and keeps you in stitches, an amazon is the parrot for you.

In my opinion.... I LOVE having an Amazon, as well as a Grey! They are perfect, since they are sooo different. Kiki, our Amazon, is awesome at flying, trying new toys and food. Very sensitive. She would NEVER bite.

Sophie, is her " polar" opposite. Much more suspicious, hesitant to try new toys and foods, but watches Kiki and learns. Sophie is who she is, due to Kiki. Friendly, accepts all family members and friends. Sophie, is FAR more intelligent, but wouldn't be able to demonstrate the intelligence, if Kiki was not part of her life. They teach each other. They bring out the best in each other. Nancy