NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Loose skin?

hucker

Yes I know, I'm being over cautious, but is the picture just of a bit of skin that he's knocked loose by getting scratched by something or someone? (there are 4 greys in the aviary together) Or is it something serious?

There is no sign of blood as you can see (I had to take a picture with a 12x telephoto to get a close look as he is not friendly with men at all!), and he never picks at it. I only noticed it a week ago, but it hasn't changed - I actually thought it was a small speck of sawdust last time, till I realised today that a speck of sawdust (he has a nest) wouldn't stay in the same place for a week.skin.jpg

It doesn't look like anything serious. Could be, he bumped it with his talon. Or occasionally, they get a stubborn feather out of place. I don't think you need to worry about it. If e is eating and acting fine, then it's ok

It doesn't look like anything serious. Could be, he bumped it with his talon. Or occasionally, they get a stubborn feather out of place. I don't think you need to worry about it. If e is eating and acting fine, then it's ok

He does tend not to eat good food I'm giving him, and prefers sunflower seeds, but that's probably just him. Although he did used to eat anything! He has become more aggressive recently as he's decided that all 4 nestboxes belong to him (and in fact the entire aviary), and that I should not dare enter the aviary, even to feed them. He shouts "come on then" and taps his beak on the floor. If I dare approach him he charges at me violently! I must wear shoes and jeans to enter the aviary or I lose part of my leg's skin.

P.S. "talon" is quite appropriate for this bird.

P.P.S. - If you're reading this Ria, do you still think you can tame him?

****I'm being over cautious, but is the picture just of a bit of skin that he's knocked loose by getting scratched by something or someone?****

Yes---scratched off by the claws. Happens constantly.

***** Or is it something serious?*****

No

*****He does tend not to eat good food I'm giving him, and prefers sunflower seeds, but that's probably just him.****

It has nothing to do with diet , bad or good.

hucker... doesn't look serious to me. What IS serious, sunflower seeds , needs to be a treat, and just minimal. What I would also recommend, is developing " parent/child relationship." It is the number one thing I feel strongly about. Yes... I am the " bad guy", over and over. I make the final decisions for our flock and dogs. Everyone tries to make me feel guilty, but I don't. They know I " empathize"... but my decision is always based on what is best for all. Nancy

they have a mixed seed and they always eat the sunflowers first, but I don't replace the seed till they've eaten the others too

no sure what you mean about making final decisions - I do tend to let the parrots get their own way (with the exception of them breaking expensive things!) - I don't want to be a mean "parent"!

Hucker, one of my greys prefer to eat all the sunflower seeds out of her pellets. My birds always have food in their cages, but also have 4 other places around my house on their tree or play stands that have other types of food, mostly the natural mix I get at the Bird Paradise store. I let her eat the sunflowerseeds, but leave the rest for a few days also. She has plenty of other healthy the vs she eats when she is out of her cage which is mostly the entire day. My other grey a tag won't touch sunflower seeds, I buy the seed mix without the sunflower seeds in it for her.

Hucker, one of my greys prefer to eat all the sunflower seeds out of her pellets. My birds always have food in their cages, but also have 4 other places around my house on their tree or play stands that have other types of food, mostly the natural mix I get at the Bird Paradise store. I let her eat the sunflowerseeds, but leave the rest for a few days also. She has plenty of other healthy the vs she eats when she is out of her cage which is mostly the entire day. My other grey a tag won't touch sunflower seeds, I buy the seed mix without the sunflower seeds in it for her.

I've got a mixed seed for all four greys, and only top it up after blowing the husks off it (I don't throw out uneaten seeds) therefore making them eat a variety of seeds. They get other foods direct from my plate as I always eat with them! They have as healthy a diet as myself. One of the four greys (the one in the picture) refuses to take food from me for some reason (ever since he decided that he "owned" the aviary - he runs about on the floor yelling "come on!!!" watching me and making sure I don't touch any nests (which they haven't nested in yet, but they've made them ready) and if I get too close he attempts to violently remove my shoe), but I always leave a bit of my food behind and he eats that when I'm not looking.