NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Are grape seeds ok?

Laurie

Hi, All!

I picked up some grapes at the grocery store today, thought they were marked "seedless" but when my son tried one he informed me they have seeds. Klaus was hanging out with me in the kitchen and expressed a great interest in the grapes (was trying to eat them through the bag). So I cut pieces of grape for him because I didn't know if the seeds were ok for him.

I don't mind cutting them, but I was just wondering if it would be bad if he got a seed.

Thanks, and hope you all are having a good weekend...

Guest briansmum

is it just apple seeds that are bad? what about oranges and melons? i can't find anything on this, if anyone can please start a thread about what seeds are ok and which are not for all foods :) that would be a MASSIVE help

I did a bunch of research when I first got Makena because I was curious about seeds and peels. I compiled a list a while back with seed fruits that I found were ok or not ok (by doing research on the internet). I have the list on my fridge. Please let me know if anyone objects to any of these!

Apples (SEEDED, peel is fine)

Papaya (fine with seeds)

Mango (seeded)

Oranges (seeded)

Cantaloupe (fine with seeds)

Melon (fine with seeds)

Starfruit (fine with seeds)

Pineapple (fine with peel)

Pomegranate (fine with seeds)

Berries (fine with seeds)

Pears (needs to be cored)

Peaches (pitted)

Nectarines (pitted)

Apricots (pitted)

Plums (pitted)

Kiwi (should be peeled)

Banana (should be peeled)

Cherries (pitted)

Cranberries (fine with seeds)

Grapes (fine with seeds)

Grapefruit (seeded)

Tangerines (seeded)

Cactus Pear (should be peeled)

Guest briansmum

ooh kristin that's great thanks. ooh i'll let brian have the seeds with his melon today then, i'm sure he'll love that.

what is is about apple seeds that is bad then?

That is a great list Kristin, thanks for posting it.

It is also a good list of fruit to reference when grocery shopping for our Grey's. :-)

I have looked everywhere for Cranberries, fresh and frozen in several stores and cannot find them.

I can find blueberries, blackberries etc. frozen at all times and fresh sometimes, but just not Cranberries....

Are they only available seasonally??

xxbeccyxx wrote:

what is is about apple seeds that is bad then?

beccy apple Seeds contain Cyanide, Be sure to always remove apple seeds before giving a portion to your bird, And i avoid orange pips as i cant find any evidence concluding they are completely safe, what i have found is conflicting some say safe , some say poisonous so i just dont give them.

Kirsten Thank you for the list :) Karma to you.

Thanks Tracy :)

So I was doing a little bit of research on toxic foods for birds and came across this site...

http://www.exoticbird.com/gillian/

It's a site put together by Gillian Willis. She is a pharmacist and toxicologist. She is considered an "expert" in matters of poisoning and toxic substances to birds.

Here is another site that has many links about bird dangers... There is an article on here called "safe fruits" that Gillian also wrote.

http://theaviary.com/emer.shtml

She does request on her website for permission to re-use any part of her text. So I chose not to copy and paste anything... instead I gave you the links! Enjoy!

Guest briansmum

ahh tracy i see, thanks. i new they were a no no and brian has never had them, i just wasn't sure, thankyou :)

great links kristin {Feel-good-000200BB}

Tracy! Like always your on top of everything. Great stuff and THANKS for the helpful info.

One big karma to you.

Kristin, Wow! you're Thread has a lot of great info that I have to cut and paste into Word that list. Another item on the frige. I didn't have this much stuff on the frige for my kids. Hemingway's stuff has pushed 8 Grandkids and 3 Great Grandkids to a smaller area.

One big karma for you also

Joe

Big brother say's I have to wait 6 hours to karma you Kristin. Sorry Themmm theee rulesssssss.<br><br>Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2007/09/18 22:28