NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

question on body language

snoepgoed123

I've been reading all the stickies (and learning lots) but I have a question... it said when a bird shakes/shivers it means it's scared. So the other day I took Archimedes out of his box (he's around 7 weeks old) and he was shivering... this was the first chance that I held him, but since the box was 82/84 degrees and the room itself was only 70 degrees, I just figured that he was cold. I'm sure that he was probably a bit scared too, because like I said, this was the first time holding him. But I'm just curious, can shivering also mean they're cold?

Parrots don't shiver when thy're cold. Shivering usually means extra alertness, extra awareness, extra nervousness. All of this applies to indepentent birds who are now flying and doing things on their own. It happens at different times and it usually goes away. A bird that young will also be very scared and the bird shouldn't be handled a lot when weaning. Warmth can be provided by putting in toys or objects that are naturally warm such as furry items. A bird that young needs tio have it's feet on solid ground all the time because agility is absent. Petting is fine.

Edited by Dave007

Exactly. never pick up your unweaned baby more than 2 to 3 inches from the bottom. Lots of petting. Keep the bird on steady ground when feeding. Have a few tiny toys in the box so he can knock them around. Put some colored cheerios in the box so he can mouthe them. He'll eventually learn how to break them and try to eat them. That's the time to replace with plain cheerios.

Ok, I did forget to mention that he is still at the breeder, so I'll see if he would be ok with leaving a few toys in there for him. The breeder is very easy going so I don't think that should be a problem

Good. Nothing I suggested is harmful to the bird.