NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

can someone explain molting?

katana600

If there is a thread already here regarding general information on molting, could someone please point me to it? Otherwise, the question I have is this: Do adult parrots molt just one or two replacement feathers at a time or do they have annual molts over a shorter time period? I have read that older parrots will have bilateral feathers drop off one at a time and new ones replace them and that makes sense so they wouldn't lose flight ability or balance. But, do they also have seasonal molts or annual molts? I guess I am asking because I am looking at the calendar to our first year anniversary with an older rehomed TAG. I have hopes that he might molt his tattered little coat now that he seems better about not having stress plucks. I do understand that some of his flight feathers were pulled out follicle and all. I saw them on the first day I met him as he was stressed about what he knew was a changing day in his life. I know there is a likelihood that those feathers might never come back in. I was just wondering if he "could" molt and what time frame would go past that would help me understand if this is a possibilty for him. Thanks.

Magor molting occurs once or twice a year depending on the warmth and dryness of the bird's area. It's a messy time because all the old dead feathers (short) fall out and are replaced with new ones. During the year, small amounts of short breast or neck or vent feathers can fall out but that amount is hardly noticed. Wing and tail feathers can fall out but that's not considered molting. Their blood supply has dried up making them dead. That happens all year long and it can happen in different areas of the wings and tail feathers. One or two here or there. They too are replaced by new ones. What does happen with molting is that sometimes, a bird will get short tempered.

There's no time table for major molts other that it happens 6,7,8,9 mts apart in one year. Then it happens again 6,7,8,9 later in that same year. Sometimes a bird won't molt until a year has passed. But ta bird will constantly shed a few short feathers all year long. With some birds it only happens once a year. If my greys are molting right now, it doesn't mean that your bird is molting right now. I have 3 greys and they molt at different times. The only thing that happens together is their sexual hormones kick into gear and they get aggressive with each other.

What isn't considered molting is when a bird loses a tail or wing feather here or there at any time of the year. That goes on all the time because those feathers have blood supplies that dry up which makes those feathers dead.

The bird you're referring to may have molted 1 month before you get him or 9 mts before you get him so he may be ready to do it again or won't do it for another 6,7,8,9 mts. So again, time tables don't exist here.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks Dave. We can always count on you for the detailed information, that helps a lot. I guess what I was seeing is a one year anniversary date coming up and haven't seen a molt so I was wondering if older birds still molted the downy feathers or if that was more of a coming of age for youngsters. I've learned the difference between broken feathers vs barbered feathers and have learned the difference of a plucked feather vs a hollow one that came out in good time. The word with Gilbert was that he couldn't fly, or at least hadn't had flight ability in 2 1/2 years at least. He hasn't plucked any flight feathers since the first day just before I arrived. The sight of a handful of feathers with follicles was something I hope never to see again in my lifetime. My heart tells me it is still a possibility that new feathers are coming in and he may get flights in the time they would have been naturally replaced rather than new growth following plucking. I understand there is no way to tell except to wait and see but seeing two flight feathers on one wing starting to grow has been encouraging. I am able to at least hope for a molt to come along and give him the medium feathers on his torso so he looks dressed again at some point. Thanks for the quick reply.

Dee, Gilbert may be able to fly some day. I know the ekkie I re-homed was found outside so he could fly. He was immediately clipped by the pet shop owner and remained clipped for 7 1/2 years until I got him. He was also a plucker. I let the feathers regrow and Sully could take short flights in my home. He is also regrowing feathers so take heart that they can grow back in. Sully plucked for many years in the pet shop and still plucks in his new home if he is stressed. If his young man owner is gone for a few days, as an example. So have hope Gilbert may surprise you.

On another note, I too am very thankful that we have Dave007's expertise to help us over our grey humps!

Thanks Janet. I guess what I am doing is trying to temper my enthusiasm for the potential flight for Gilbert's sake. I wouldn't find anything disappointing with him as long as he stays healthy. I just didn't want to raise too many false hopes (for me) if say one year passed and he hadn't regrown those original feathers, is that the time I stop dreaming of flight? I swear that one of the feathers on his right wing grew an inch just today. When he lost the last two long feathers on that wing, he just drops to the floor off his cage door. He isn't falling, he jumps. Just a week or two ago he was flapping and jumping and coming off the floor as much as three feet high. I had to put a cushy mat in front of his cage to buffer his fall and give him a soft landing spot. He still does a lot of vigorous flapping every day and I think he still has flight instinct. If the day comes and he is capable of flight, I am willing to do anything it takes to encourage and protect him while he learns. Thanks for the information and the encouragement.