NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do you lock your bird in at night?

chezron

I have been thinking a little too much about natural disasters lately. I lock two of my birds in their cages at night, and I am starting to rethink this habit. I mean what if an earthquake or fire occurred and I couldn't get to them? Am I thinking too much or is there another way to deal with this situation?

I vote that you are thinking too much. The likelihood of these two disasters happening are very slim in comparison to what could happen to your birds if they are left alone, and free at night. They could ingest something that could be harmful, chew on electrical cords, get tangled up in something they cannot get out of, amongst SO MANY other things. I think the only time birds should be left free to come out of their cage is when they can be supervised. Hope that helps :)

unsupervised birds such as parrots is asking for major issues.. if a fire happens you will have NO idea where your birds is. if a earthquake happens windows break and bird flys out of the house.

keeping them safe in the cage at night is the best policy.

Edited by carlsjr

Chezron, I think its excellent that you are playing the "what if" game. Being prepared and having a plan is always a good idea. Leaving your birds out of cage isn't going to help keep them safe and is the very time when you need to know exactly where they are to get to them quickly. But look around. There are other things you can do like install battery operated smoke detectors near the cages, install earthquake straps on tall things near the cages, check that nothing can fall on the cages, have and practice an escape plan and a what to do next plan (use a stuffed animal for night time practice), have GO bags ready and easy to get to.

I used to live within the 10 mile inclusion zone of a nuclear power plant and forest fire area. I did have a plan and did once need it (forest fire).

Misty is out all day when I or another human is at home which is most of the time but he is in his locked cage when he is put to bed. There are far to many ways for mischief otherwise. Where I live earthquakes are unlikely and there are extensive fire alarms . I am sure Misty is safer this way.

Steve n Misty

All my birds sleep in their cage, but if I need to get them out in a hurry they will step up to my hand from their cage when I ask them to and will go into their travle cage with no trouble. The best you could ever do is be ready to take shelter or leave.

My parrots all sleep in their cages at night. I want to know exactly where they are if there is an emergency. I have their travel cages and an emergency pack all ready just in case. All will go readily into there cages for me, however there has not been a lot of excitement around so I do not know what they would do in an emergency, only what I would do. I have really thought about this and because I live alone, I would not hesitate to smash their room window to get them out if necessary. Smoke for birdies in a definite killer.

Good thread, by the way.

You've gotten a lot of sound advise & I have to agree that leaving a bird loose at night has the potential to do more harm than good. A possible alternative might be separate sleeping cages, if you & your bird were comfortable having smaller cages just for sleeping.

If you had them in cages that are small enough to carry, you would be able to grab them & go in case of an emergency. But obviously, these cages should only be used at night, as they'd be too small for the bird to spend any time in, otherwise.

Now remember, there are birds that have parents with open door policy. I am not responding, to have owners disagree with me. It is what it is, for past 12 years. We are bird proofed to the max. We also were lucky to have 24/7 coverage for many years. Now we are gone for about six hours a day. Birds don't come out, until we are home. BUT.... their cage is not locked. Of course to get here, was alot of work. We DID have an electrical fire once I shut downall electrical circuits after calling 911, I yelled to Ryan " this is not a drill". He went into motion. He was responsible for dogs and guinea pigs. I was responsible for birds. They were all on their gyms. All I had to say was " IN!" They moved. We both moved their cages outside. Everyone was safe. Hardwood floors had some damage. No big deal. I was happy that we had a plan. I was also happy that birds responded to me during a serious event. Nancy

I have to agree that cage doors are shut and locked while we are out or when we are sleeping, there is just too much for them to get into and hurt themselves and I like Janet's idea of having the travel cages nearby just in the case if needed at a moment's notice, better to be prepared and not need it than need it and not be prepared.

I also had this thought... If you left your bird out while you were asleep, or whatever else...and say, a fire happens... you rush into the room to get your bird that you have left out to do their own thing at night, so where are they now? Are you going to run all around the house trying to track your birds down? I think it is much safer to keep cages closed at night, not only for this reason, but so many others.

My budgies/finches and conure are alway out their cages when I go to school. They are good birds and stay on their tree. But at night, everyone is in their cages. They sleep better, it's safer and they get their sleephours. Because I have a blanket over the cages. Exept when I'm on a holiday. Then they sleep next to me on a standard.

I already have my fire excape plan. My schoolbag is next to my bed, so I can put my birdies in it. (sorry birds, for your own safety) and I can climb out of the window, and get safely to the ground by a fence.

This is a great thread. All my birds are in their cages, covers, with their doors latched. I have smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, glass braking sensors, an alarm system and 2 dogs that bark at anything...... I want to know where all my animals are at night. I do have travel cages at the bottom of the basement stairs, but I think I will move them upstairs instead, just not much room to put them. I like that Janet has an emergency pack. I am curious, what do you have in it? I am sure there is food, but how often do you replace it?

My DS has an emergency pack for Isabelle. It contains food which he rotates when ever he buys a new bag, a few of her favorite chewing branches, a zip close sealed package of unsalted pumpkin seeds again he rotates that when he buys a new bag, a foot toy with feathers in case she needs to worry on something, a bottle of water and a towel. It isn't large and fits under her cage.