NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

More pix of Ellie at play

Doug

Those are very nice pics! I don't know how right it is, but I've read that some babies can get the red feathers from something they're fed. Then they go back to normal after the first molt. Is that the case w/Ellie, or did you expect her to have the red factor gene?

She is such a beautiful girl. Our guy has the same flecks red on his thighs so they might stay. I always thought the tags had a darker tail as babies and later it got the deeper reds, her bright red feather tips in that closeup are so pretty. Great photos! I also liked the way you put the zip ties on the natural branches to add to the play top. It is a timely helpful hint, Gilbert started to play on his cage top just this week. I love that idea. Thanks.

She is such a beautiful girl. Our guy has the same flecks red on his thighs so they might stay. I always thought the tags had a darker tail as babies and later it got the deeper reds, her bright red feather tips in that closeup are so pretty. Great photos! I also liked the way you put the zip ties on the natural branches to add to the play top. It is a timely helpful hint, Gilbert started to play on his cage top just this week. I love that idea. Thanks.

Ellie's tail is nearly the same dark gray as her wings. I'm very interested to see what happens after her first molt!

Ellie really had no interest in the "play top" until I put the sticks up. So much more to do!

Of course, she'll only hang out there for a short while before flying into the next room to be with people...

I'm looking for a sycamore with low branches that I can raid (I have a saw in the back of my car - just in case...) Sycamore branches have such lovely changes-of-direction. All twisty and full of right angles. Perfect for parrots! I'd like to make a tall playstand using only branches.

Thanks for the advice there on the sycamore branches. I will look that up on the internet. We live near lots of trees. I will look for them specifically to see about making the play top more fun. I really appreciate how others share insights and inspirations. Thanks for the help. Putting a saw in the car, LOL. Too funny. Is there anything we wouldn't do to accomodate our little grey companions?

Magnolia is also a good branch for playing for the same reasons as sycamore. The only problem with magnolia is that it is very lightweight.

You can see the magnolia's twists and turns in these pictures...

6326154936_0beb236be1.jpg

6326156464_97f8885055.jpg

It is so true that pictures are worth a thousand words. Magnolia is plentiful in Georgia and Gilbert is a lightweight, so that will be easy enough to get started. He is just getting started to play on the top of his cage and any encouragement for him to play is well worth the effort. Thanks for the pictures. Ellie's eyes are so pretty, I am sure you can't get enough of such a darling little girl.

wow, she so pretty. That are really beautiful pictures and I like the orange on the background.

I have used willow for my birdtree. That's also good right?

I was a bit surprised when I saw that my wife had painted that room such a bright color, but it has grown on me...

According to this site, willow is safe.

I'd be careful of willow bark.

"The use of willow bark dates back thousands of years, to the time of Hippocrates (400 BC) when patients were advised to chew on the bark to reduce fever and inflammation. Willow bark has been used throughout the centuries in China and Europe, and continues to be used today for the treatment of pain (particularly low back pain and osteoarthritis), headache, and inflammatory conditions, such as bursitis and tendinitis. The bark of white willow contains salicin, which is a chemical similar to aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). It is thought to be responsible for the pain relieving and anti-inflammatory effects of the herb. In fact, in the 1800s, salicin was used to develop aspirin. White willow appears to bring pain relief more slowly than aspirin, but its effects may last longer."

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/willow-bark-000281.htm