NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can We Say Too Much Sugar!!!

Ziggy2011

Hello Everyone! Im kind of new at this whole bloggling or posting thing lol. But im having some issues with my african grey. He is a Congo and hes roughly 8months old. Hes been hand fed by me i brought him home at a month old. His name is Ziggy and the love of my life:). Thats just a lil intro on him, but my problem is his behaviour. Hes on a lot of sugar or something. Hes so hyper meaning, flying all over the place destroying everything, playing in my fish tanks, eating my plants, to biting my walls lol He flies onto my head and hangs off of my hair ummmm hes just very overly active and im curious to know if this is common in all african greys or is it just mine. Hes a very sweet bird loves to cuddle and give kisses, he sings in the morning and is amazing but hes just a lil trouble maker. So im hoping its not him acting out on something I have done. He is my first parrot well african grey, I have a jenday but they get along great. Please help me in taming this cute beast lol

Edited by Ziggy2011

This all sounds quite normal for a young Grey to me! Did nobody warn you.:D You will have to provide him with plenty of his own things to destroy. Fruit wood branches are good if you can get them. I am hoping that when you say "Hes on a lot of sugar or something" it is a figure of speech not that you feed him lots of sugar!

Steve n Misty

Ziggy sounds like a happy healthy parrot to me. I have an amazon who has energy like Ziggy. I supply him with lots of wooden and clanging toys and he plays all day long. I also assume that the sugar remark was just an expression as it is true sugar is not a parrot's friend. Ziggy certainly looks like a sweet character in your avatar. Just give him more stimulating things to chew on and play on and with. `

I agree, sounds like normal behavior of a young Grey. I would also make sure he has PLENTY of toys, lot's of different kinds, and choices. I would also rotate his toys every now and again to keep him from getting bored with what he has. Wooden toys for chewing are great, and also noise making toys, foraging toys, preening toys, ect. You will just have to watch him and see what he plays with the most! Also, a lot of birds that enjoy swinging, and things of that sort like boings, and atoms :) Maybe give one of those a try?

Lol No I don't fed him sugar but he's like a very hyper kid that is on sugar lol I waswarned that he will be active but not to this extent, where I literally have to hide everything so he doesn't destroy it.AND making it even worst is if he sees where I hide my stuff he'll go and try to get it. I'm a little scared to give him like chewing toys or wood stuff, what if eats it? and what if he chocks on it? also he's into foot toys I usually buy a bunch of small foot toys for him to play wit, but what are somethings I can probably make at home for him? thanks

First of all, they don't swallow the toys they chew and destroy. Giving hard items like various kinds of wood ( hard/soft) is very good for them. It relaxes them and keeps their attention. It sounds like your bird is being given all the freedom it wants which can cause him to go to unwanted places. Greys have only one to say hello to something. They grab it with their beak and if they like it, they'll chew it. You shouldn't let him do that. As they get older, they can get more crafty when trying to avoid someone. Think about enclosing the bird in a room for a part of the day. Let him chill out.

Hang a heavy duty cow bell in the cage and let him spend his energy beating it up.

Isabelle the quaker loves cow bells. I finally found a huge one, its almost as big as she is, and she is fascinated with the sound. DS was going to hang it in her cage on birdie links. I can imagine her hanging from the chain, flapping around and creating all kinds of noise.

Hang a heavy duty cow bell in the cage and let him spend his energy beating it up.

Exactly, give a grey a big heavy duty bell and watch them try to beat the crap out of it, every grey should have at least one big bell they can fight with, you would think the bell was trying to kill them the way they attack it.

Hahahaha! I am looking forward to seeing that with Grimm :)

Don't be afraid to give him wooden toys, they are not going to swallow the parts. They NEED to chew, it is a must, and denying him this very healthy behavior could be detrimental to his health (and your property) in the long run.

Yep, get a big bell, or two, or three, that you like the sound of, 'cause you'll be hearing it alot. Also, take a look in the homemade toys forum for some great cheap ideas. Put a bell on the bottom of a swinging perch like a birdy 'boing'. Do a search here on 'foraging'. Lots of ways to keep a busy bird out of your hair, literally!

Your smart little joyful grey needs toys, and lots of them. Don't worry about him swallowing toy pieces and bits. If he doesn't have desirable things to do he will do undesirable things to your house. You choose. These guys are smart and need simulation and activity to be happy. Read the entries under the forum for toys and playstands to get ideas.