NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Would like opinions on 1st attempt to introduce my rehome to a travel experience

Gwen

I've come such a long way with Roscoe in the (almost) 2 years with him. I am so afraid I will traumatize him if I don't handle this situation coming up properly !!!! I REALLY need some input ......

I will be staying at my daughter's house the end of Jan. for 4 or 5 days. Rather than leave him alone with hubby (who he doesn't like) I've decided to take him with me. It will be his first adventure away. I purchased a travel cage a few months ago & placed it below his permanet cage. He has been using it to climb down onto the floor but hasn't ventured in. I place treats inside but he stretches & pulls them out. I don't think he will be happy in it for the trip .... (only an hour away) I'm taking his big cage & just laying it on it's side. Do you think he'll be happy to just stay in it ??? Also, I'm thinking that he will be ok in a strange house because he will have me & the only cage he's ever known. Is that enough???

I have taken my parrots to my daughters in their travel cages. The cages are large enough that my grey and zon can spread their wings. They are just fine as they are use to the cages. They use the cages for spring/summer sunning. My daughter has cats, one is a hunter so I only let my parrots out in my bedroom with the door closed. The few days they are there they are fine as my parrots feel safe and comfortable with me.

I have taken my grey on road trips to visit my son who lives 4 hours away and she does just fine, I have a roomy travel cage that she rides in and she chatters and plays on the way there and back. She stays in that cage while there with some time out and does fine. I am sure your grey will be ok if you make it a fun experience for him. Tell him what is going to happen so he knows as they understand some of what we tell them, if you make it a positive and fun experience then he will be ok with it.

Thanks... I'm feeling a little more at ease about this whole thing with your encouragement. My daughter has 2 cats and a cockatiel. Both cats are extremely afraid of her bird, so I'm not really worried about them. I'll be able to stay in one of the bedrooms downstairs so I'll keep Roscoe w/ me. My grandsons both will be in school all day so I'll have lots of quality alone time w/ Roscoe !! My 10 year old grandson enjoys being around Roscoe so evenings will also be playtime for him. Come to think of it, he'll have me 24 hrs. a day for 4 or 5 days all to himself. I just hope the fact that he won't be home doesn't make him freak out.

Thanks, judygram, I do plan on talking to him in the car all the way up there. I hadn't thought about explaining what we are doing though. It might be fun for a change -- he always says "see ya later" when I put my coat on..... to actually take him instead of making kissy sounds, saying I'll be right back, I Love You, it's ok, Bye!!

Just a little concerned about Roscoe not having ever been inside the travel cage. You don't need to spend a long trip dealing w/the traffic & Roscoe if he suddenly reacts to being trapped inside the cage. Things will also probably go more smoothly once you arrive if Roscoe's as relaxed as possible.

You might tie something irresistible inside the traveler. Make him have to actually go inside to get it. Once he's okay being closed in, maybe take him for a test drive. ;)

It will be mostly express-way so I do have the opportunity to at least pull over...

Quite possibly I might take our Jeep... that way he could stay right in his own big cage ???? The only problem would be is that the cage would be laying down @%^&*@!!!!

Test drive might be a good answer...

Yes, I was thinking that the issue wouldn't be Roscoe traveling with you per se (because he loves you and you are his solid 'refuge' and special person), but there might be some issue of getting Roscoe in the travel cage. I honestly can't remember how Marcus started agreeing to go in his little carrier, I think I maybe just had him step-up and then kind of plopped him in there the first time, and then we went on a fun trip into the backyard--and he realized that his whole world could be so much bigger than our house! After that first trip, he's been very accommodating in terms of getting in his carrier, he loves going outside, even just on short trips to the mailbox to keep him used to being in a small travel cage. But with Roscoe, since he is still working through so many issues on many levels, it might be more difficult for him to accept the suddenness of such a change as being just 'put' in his carrier. So if you are just going to bring him in his big cage laid on its side, the issue sounds like it will just be those few moments of him being in a little cage while you transport him from your home to his cage in your Jeep. So I would explain to him what you want to do ahead of time (did someone else say that already?) and maybe put Gabby in his cage, like a model. You never know, he may get jealous and want to be in that fun carrier, too! And then just make it a familiar thing, with treats and everything, and maybe by the time your trip rolls around he'll be okay with the idea.

Good idea, Karen !!! Those two are really jealous of each when it comes to food... Maybe, with Gabby on my shoulder, I'll sit in front of Roscoe & put some peanuts in the travel cage, place Gabby in and say, "Bye, see ya later"!!!

I could leave, drive around the block & then come back. A few days later I'll try it w/ Roscoe.

We have two parrots and they each travel differently. Java gets car sick and overwhelmed by seeing out the window. In our travels and travails, I have learned to put her in her cage with a rope perch that gives her a good grip, I turn it so the length of the perch is parallel to the road. That way the stops and starts have her leaning from leg to leg rather than rocking front to back as that makes her less steady. Then, I put a fleece blanket over her cage and open just a little spot so she has a line of sight directly to where I am sitting. Gilbert took a little more adjusting and fussing with his cage until we came to an agreement. He prefers two stick perches in opposite directions wrapped with vet tape for better traction. We had a lot of mistakes and missteps and both of us learned to change and adjust and our travels have been really good. One thing I did with each of our parrots instead of putting them into the travel cage for the first time and just hopping into the car was to put them in my bedroom and let them have night time roost cages for a few days and then the morning I left, I could pick them up early in the morning and off we went before they had time to worry or to protest. Believe me, after the most recent trip when I forgot to do the roost cages, I got a bite on my thumb first thing in the wee hours of morning when Gilbert strongly objected to his early morning shuffle to the back pack. Gilbert rode his one way eighteen hour trip in his back pack and was fine. On the way home, the car was too full. Knowing we would spend the night half way, I opted to fold down the backpack because the other cage is hard wire and can be used in the motel overnight. Big mistake. Gilbert hated being in the open that way. I tried covering him with the fleece blanket and that was worse. For him, the magic is to ride in the back pack, he seems secure in the smaller space. He loved the little wire travel cage in the motel and at the home of friends. I brought rope perches to configure to make him a climbing jungle gym on the outside of the cage and that was the best way for us to pack and make the most of a long journey with a short stay. Each trip has gotten better and better for us. I see Gilbert get much more upset if I try to leave him in his own familiar place while I go for a weekend. He seems to understand more that if I take him and he can see me, then I bring him home again, this is a good thing. Gwen, you are very intuitive and plugged in with Roscoe. You may not be able to predict what he will need on this trip, but I am absolutely certain that he will let you know, you will respond to his needs and this is going to be a good trip for both of you.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm, Dee !!!! I NEVER thought abt. the direction of the perch in conjunction with the road -- but it makes perfect sense & I will make sure I do that !!

I'm sincerely hoping that he will understand that I'm taking him with me for 5 days instead of leaving him w/ that scary man (daddy). Gabby will stay w/ him. They like each other & she flies to him & calls when he leaves the room.

I would rather have him w/ me & mad than leave him knowing he can't come out of his cage !!!

That is such a great idea for travel accomodation. I will have to look for them before we go again. I have gone round and round making configuration changes and trying to remember which of the stack of ropes work best in the cages. Those would be easy to remember for the next time. We are like Goldilocks and the three bears over here. Small travel cages in the car, larger travel cages for hotels, larger still for extended stays with family. I set them up, fold them down, take in the perches, take them out, round and round I go until it is "just right" and then I take pictures of the successful arrangements of each cage and still forget how in the world was that? What the hey? Which perch was that? Hahahahaha... I can't wait to see how Roscoe does with his travel. In our case, this trip was just the best thing we could have done for Gilbert, he has taken a turn for the better and I can't help but to think his new found confidence is related to leaving, seeing that I am still here and he is okay and he gets to come home again. I am hoping that you get a similar view from Roscoe when he comes home again. Even if it rattles his existence a little, the first two times did that for Gilbert too, but they were little building blocks that opened up new experiences and made things better in the long haul. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

I just shutter to think about the last time he was in the car... The day I brought him home !!!!

I went to my co-workers house.. (3 large dogs jumping & barking in a very small living rm. Boyfriend sitting chain smoking UGH!!) Anyway, she went into this storage room & pulled Roscoe's cage out to the middle of the living rm... no toys (just a rock on a chain in the back corner), perch, no water & his food bowl had dry dog food in it. She told me, "he's a biter" !!! "good luck & good riddance". I asked her how do you take him out?? she didn't know, never had to.. She proceeded to open the door & chase him around the cage w/ the little cockatiel carrier I had brought with me. After half an hour she finally got him cornered & with screaming all the time, he finally crawled into the transport carrier.

I loaded up & down the road I went.. All the way home I just kept saying it's ok, it's alright. He chewed at the screen on the carrier all the way... If it had been much farther, he would have broken free. (only a 15 min. drive)

I just only hope he doesn't associate that with things when I try to take him to my daughter's.....

That's why I think a trial run would help... then, it's leave, travel & back into his cage with no trauma !!!

Thanks Karen... He is showing me he loves me more everyday !!! Last night I cupped his head & leaned into his little face as he half shut his eyes feeling protected, and whispered, "I Love you, you sweet little boy" and he immediately made kissy sounds. It melted my heart :)

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE.....

I'm back from staying a wk with my grandsons in the next state... After much soul-searching and my hubby telling me he could handle Roscoe; I reluctantly decided NOT to force the travel cage issue and change his enviornment. After all the progress I've made I couldn't bring myself to upset my little buddy...

He really did OK... Aside from the fact he spent the whole time in his cage... The cutest thing my husband told me on the phone was for the first 3 days he & Roscoe played tug-o-war with the food & water dishes!! I think he thought Charlie was taking it away from him and after all; they are HIS dishes. After that, he allowed him to remove, fill, and return the bowls without a lunge bite...

Last night I let him out and everthing was as though I had never left!!! So snuggly, kissy, and really soaking up the scritches & neck rubs!! Whew !!! I was so worried for nothing. Now I really have to get him ready for the travel cage 'cause we have abt. 2 mo. before we leave for vaca. My daughter & family will be birdsitting both of them then. The whole big cage will be transported & Roscoe will be in his new travel cage in the car. Gabby is no problem, as she goes quite a bit & likes her travel cage. (This 1 wk. was kind of a test.... I can't even think abt. vaca because it will be the second time away from him & it will be for 3 weeks!!!)

I like that you made a decision and it worked out so well for you and Roscoe and Charlie. Way to go! I think Gilbert has learned a lot from traveling as well as being left behind and trusting that I leave and come back. Remember when we were learning about grey time? I think the same applies to us when we come and go, what seems like a really long time for us is just a blip in the scheme of things for Roscoe and Gilbert and they learn so much with each way we do things. Sometimes Gilbert travels with me and it works out just fine and sometimes he stays home and I leave and come back. It will all be okay and I think that is because they have learned to trust while we are with them and it might be harder on us to be away than on them. If you get a chance to take him to visit with you at your daughter's before you leave for three weeks, he will have that added to his emotional tools and trust that you come and go from there as well as from your own home. Isn't it great to watch them become independent and trust the other important people in your life too? It is all part of a day for us to learn together. I am glad you had such a positive outcome.

Thank you so much, Dee... Yes, it did have a positive outcome & the agony of the week was I missed him so terribly!!! (oh & hubby too LOL) Each day I talked to Charlie he assured me that he & Roscoe were doing well. I know your right, it was grey time... cause Roscoe picked up like everything was yesterday. It made me feel better about being away.

You also have an excellent idea about a couple of visits before April. I have noticed that when my daughter visits Roscoe gets close to the bars & turns his head like he wants her to pet him... Her voice sounds alot like mine so I think he likes her.

I'll let you know how the next phase works :)

I'm glad to hear things worked out so well, Gwen, even if you had to be separated from your little Grey man for a while--when I was visiting my parents' for a few days back in November, I missed our flock (and other pets) so badly! Once when my hubby put me on speakerphone for all of them to hear me, he said Marcus mumbled "I love you" when he heard me talking. Just broke my heart to be so far away, but you know how good it feels to come home to their love again. :)