NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Clicker Training Anyone?

DawL

Hey there everone! I hope you are having a lovely New Years Day!

I was wondering if we might have any members that have used clicker trainging with success, and if they would mind giving me some advice on where to start, and any other pointers they can think of. I ordered a clicker, and got it via UPS last Friday. The vet suggested that I start clicker training with Barnaby to keep his mind off of any mating behavior, to try and stop him from prolapsing. So far in the last few days he has only showed this behavior once, but I would love to do clicker training with him and my other fids regardless.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

I have never used it on birds, but I don't see why it wouldn't work! :) I have used it successfully on horses and dogs. The main thing is that you must be sure to "click" the instant you get the desired behavior. So, if you're trying to accomplish a new behavior, for example-"step up" (which I know your guys can already do-just using it as an example :) ) anytime the bird even lifts a foot you would click and treat. They should get treated for the smallest movement that will eventually yield the behavior. Then you just keep progressing from there, treating every time the desired behavior (or an attempt at it) happens. So, eventually they connect that picking up a foot and putting it on your hand is a good thing. Also, even if you click on accident, you always have to treat. That way they associate the click with a treat 100% of the time. I'm definitely no expert, but those were the tips that were taught to me. Keep us posted on how it works out for you and Barnaby. :)

• Haha 1

I have never used it on birds, but I don't see why it wouldn't work! :) I have used it successfully on horses and dogs. The main thing is that you must be sure to "click" the instant you get the desired behavior. So, if you're trying to accomplish a new behavior, for example-"step up" (which I know your guys can already do-just using it as an example :) ) anytime the bird even lifts a foot you would click and treat. They should get treated for the smallest movement that will eventually yield the behavior. Then you just keep progressing from there, treating every time the desired behavior (or an attempt at it) happens. So, eventually they connect that picking up a foot and putting it on your hand is a good thing. Also, even if you click on accident, you always have to treat. That way they associate the click with a treat 100% of the time. I'm definitely no expert, but those were the tips that were taught to me. Keep us posted on how it works out for you and Barnaby. :)

I have to disagree with you concerning usuage of a clicker and how it applies to a wild animal such as a parrot

First off, a dog is no longer a wild animal and no clicker needs to be used in order for that dog to do something and even cats are also domestic, clickers can't be used. For hundreds of years diogs have been trained to do things without any devices.

Method and result with clicker as far as a wild bird is concerned------there's only a few things that a clicker is used for with a wild parrot. The major thing usually has to do with flight training both outdoors and indoors. Other things in the house should be done by hand, especially when it concerns behavior. Hands on.

The way of using a clicker with birds is to use a clicker before any deed is accomplished. Click--Fly from one hand to another person's hand--gi9ve that tiny treat. The other person has atreat--clicks and the bird flies back to that person---gets that tiny treat. Back and forth. Eventually, that clicker can be replaced with the snap of a finger and that can eventually be replaced by simply holding the hand outward.

Using a clicker after a bird does something is like using mental telepathy. The mental message---""Please lift up one foot"" so the bird, if he's in the right mood, lifts up one foot and then a clicker is used??? Why not just give a treat with out the clicker??

And eventually, birds will do all things without stimulation from a device. If I gave my birds treats every time they did something, I'd be in the kitchen making loads of things all day long.

The only stimulation that happens for my birds when I personally want them all land on me is that they all think that maybe a photo of them is about to happen and believe me, I never used a clicker for that.

Okay Dave, I see your point, and you make some good ones. Can you maybe give me some advice on some things to do with Barnaby to keep him busy, as far as training goes? He is fully flighted. I just want to be sure to keep him busy, and I would enjoy the time as well. Any suggestions would be great.

Well, most successful training happens when a bird is very young and open to many new and unknown things. As a bird gets older and experiences various life styles of people plus the general habits of people or a house, they start to fit in. As that sets in it becomes baggage or history. They take that permanent baggage with them to anyplace they live in. A bird who hasn't

been exposed to many different training routines more than likely will never change. A very basic example is flight training. It's extremely hard to get a flight harness on an adult bird who's never been exposed to something like that. Trying that often results in the bird giving out serious bites. Doing that with a very young bird is much easier.

Barnaby is an adult bird who hasn't gone through training routines and more than likely won't want to. Since he's an adult the best thing to do is work on the present things that exist but slightly improve them. An adult bird can get very used to situations which we would find to be terrible for our birds. A bird who's been cage bound for many years really has no desire to investigate the unknown world outside. Some will but most won't.

One major thing I can tell about TOO is to let him be on your shoulder as much as you can. TOOS are well known to be clingy birds. They're the exact opposite of greys who are independent and like being alone for long periods of the day.

Having your bird on your shoulder will help you with your bird and I guarantee you that he'll find all the things he's looking at to be stimulating. Many TOO owners will testify to that. A TOO that's constantlystuck in a cage with only small amounts of human contact is a very sad TOO. A bird in that atmosphere usually reverts to yelling. A TOO on a shoulder is an extremely quiet bird. In your situation, Barnaby is a rehomed bird that does have some baggage.

Thanks for the advice Dave. I know Barnaby has worn a harness at one point, but who knows how long it has been since the last time he wore it. When I got him, they sent along a VERY tattered, worn out harness. I got him a new one thinking he might wear it, if not I will give it to Grimm, but I didn't want to go that route until he was a bit more comfortable being here with me. He does come right out of his cage when I open it in the morning, and stays out all day unless he gets hungry. I have not let him on my shoulder as of now. I have facial piercings, and worry that he will pull them out, but I hope he will get used to them as time goes on. He will step up for me, as long as he is not on his cage. Still, I think he has made excellent progress, given the time frame that I have had him. He seems to be very happy, and he does not scream. He definitely did when with his previous owners.

My number one concern, whether a new baby, or rehome bird, is NEVER allow a bird, whether rehomed or a baby, past wrist status. This is earned. It may be a pain in the butt... but only earned. I have cared for many a bird. When the trust level is there, they can go to my shoulder, when I decide. Its when the parent/child relationship has been established. Nancy

Have to agree to disagree on this one. I think clicker training has been proven to work on any animal, domestic or wild. I didn't say it would work for sure, only that I didn't see why it wouldn't be ok to try. It's not telepathy, it's a clear reward for the attempt at, and over time a specific, a desired behavior. It doesn't always have to be treats-a "treat" could be verbal praise or pets-it's whatever motivates the animal the most. Also, I don't think that age or rehome status limits a bird's ability to learn new things. If he likes it, great. If he doesn't, then it's not a big deal either. Again, not trying to be difficult-JMHO.

I have actually been doing a lot more research on this, and clicker training is VERY popular for bird owners. It is used A LOT for recall, but also for target training, and trick training. I definitely think Barnaby will be perfectly capable of it, and I also think that if he decides he is not interested, then that is fine as well. I am going to go ahead with it. There are A LOT of clicker training vids with parrots on youtube. I think I have almost watched them all! LOL

I would recommend giving Harrisons High Potency Fine a try for the training "treat". It is a perfect size and if they like it they can eat as much of it as they want...

Trust me, I would loe to do that, but Barnaby is a seed junkie (not my doing) and as of now, will not eat pellets. He does like to display anting behavior with his roudybush pellets though. I am trying to find something he would like for a treat. Oddly enough, he doesn't even like sunflower seeds, only the smaller seeds in his seed mix.

Trust me, I would loe to do that, but Barnaby is a seed junkie (not my doing) and as of now, will not eat pellets. He does like to display anting behavior with his roudybush pellets though. I am trying to find something he would like for a treat. Oddly enough, he doesn't even like sunflower seeds, only the smaller seeds in his seed mix.

That is strange. I have never met a bird that doesn't like sunflower seeds. Even my chickens would kill for it!

I used the clicker too. It works fine but training without it works too. Target training is really fun, I have used it to tame my budgie.

But the trick training I do with my TAG, is without the clicker.

Have fun training! :)