NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Apple cidar Vinegar

CharlieB

Yes it is safe you can use plain white Vinegar to clean with, it is not an artificial scent it is natural. It never hurts to have good ventilation when cleaning but it has not harmed my birds. I do use it or Hydrogen Peroxide to pour over dried droppings on the tile floor then go back and wipe up in a few minutes it works well.

Yes it is safe you can use plain white Vinegar to clean with, it is not an artificial scent it is natural. It never hurts to have good ventilation when cleaning but it has not harmed my birds. I do use it or Hydrogen Peroxide to pour over dried droppings on the tile floor then go back and wipe up in a few minutes it works well.

I agree with greywings. It is not harmful to our fids, but I would use ventilation with anything that has a strong smell. Different things irritate different birds, so better to play it safe. Also, I think that "Poop Off" works very well, although it can be pricey.

To quote the man who taught me so much about safe, organic, well, lots of things! lol

originally posted by Jayd...

"Apple Cider Vinegar is not only safe for our fids, it's good for them and us. It's one of the best disinfectants around. We use it on our fids hard toys, feeding and water bowels, to clean hard poop, and to clean and wipe down their cages... We also use "Organic Apple Cider Vinegar" for soaking their veggies after there rinsed with water, and to wipe hard boiled egg shells lightly. If you have a mold spot on you wall, bathroom etc, spray it on, it kills the spores."

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190341-For-a-beginner/page7&p=208351

Edited by birdhouse

To quote the man who taught me so much about safe, organic, well, lots of things! lol

originally posted by Jayd...

"Apple Cider Vinegar is not only safe for our fids, it's good for them and us. It's one of the best disinfectants around. We use it on our fids hard toys, feeding and water bowels, to clean hard poop, and to clean and wipe down their cages... We also use "Organic Apple Cider Vinegar" for soaking their veggies after there rinsed with water, and to wipe hard boiled egg shells lightly. If you have a mold spot on you wall, bathroom etc, spray it on, it kills the spores."

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190341-For-a-beginner/page7&p=208351

Thank you for that quote birdhouse. I learned so much from just that small paragraph!

For those of you who use apple cider vinegar to clean your cage....do you use it straight or mix it with water? If you mix, what's the ratio? I plan on putting together a spray bottle with apple cider vinegar for cleaning the cages and want to have an effective yet safe spray for the job.

Thanks in advance for the info!

There's absolutely no harm that can come from using vinegar unless you sprayed it in anyone's face. It rinses off extremely easily & it's actually good to eat anyway. There may be an effective concentration. Jay was a huge vinegar fan. You may be able to research his posts & find something.

I don't bother to dilute it to clean. I spray it on a damp cloth for wiping over the cage. Big fan of microfiber cloths btw. I also spray it directly on poop, etc & let it set for a minute, then wipe w/a wet cloth.

The only possible concern is the powder coat on the cage. Any exposure to UV, water & chemicals promotes aging that will eventually lead to damage & peeling. But the cage needs to be sanitized at some point & somethings like poop, obviously, don't just dry wipe off. Vinegar is one of the least harmful alternatives as long as you rinse & leave everything reasonably dry.

Edited by birdhouse

• 2 weeks later...