NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Earthquake vs Roll

Ray P

This is from a post in this room and I want to clear up something that I think is important and that is the difference between earthquake and roll.

When it comes to a rehomed parrot in your home the one thing you are trying to build is trust so I would like to give a IMO of earthquake vs roll.

The thing I do not like with earthquake is if not done properly you can jar the parrot to the point that may cause fear and all that you may have gained is lost.

With the roll you gently turn your arm or finger gently in the direction to make your parrot lean foward to keep his or her balance and than roll back to normal. this will distract your bird from the bite.

Some people like the earthquake and that is ok but IMO with a new rehome gentle is what you need to build trust. That is IMO

Excellent point Ray. Something else I learned with the roll is if the bird is on your forearm to automatically bend your hand down at the wrist not only to keep the bird from lunging and grabbing onto sensitive fingers/knuckles and causing an involuntary jerk but to help you actually roll. The earthquake is uncomfortable with your wrist bend downward.

I definitely agree Ray, and thank you for pointing this out. After working so hard to gain a rehomed bird's trust, the last thing we want to do is have them be afraid of us, and lose that trust. I do think that different things work for different birds, but the roll should always be tried first, especially with a rehomed bird.

Yes, we all agree !!! Thank you, Ray, for bring up the differnce and the most important thing..... The roll is standard and the earthquake would ALWAYS be a last resort !!

The vet that I worked with used earthquake on her Amazon that had extreme behavioral problems..

Hi MarcusCAG

The earthquake is when you make a rapid movement up and down like the shaking movement of a earthquake.

The trouble I have with it is that it has to be done properly and it can be overdone like shakeing a baby and that would not be in the best intrest of the parrot.

The roll is a more gentle way to distract your fid from doing something you don`t want them to do. The roll does not have to be rapid and can be adjusted to fit the need.

I hope this helps

Yes, Thanks Ray. The roll gives the bird time to adjust his balance (done slowly) and basically redirects his attention from trying to bite to think about his footing.

The earthquake is intense, aggressive & to shock. It's almost like shaken-baby syndrome.

I always think about The Golden Rule. "Do unto others......" :)

I am unfamiliar with either of these techniques, but reading about it helps in the event that someday as we progress we have a misunderstanding. I hope we never have to see what it means to use evasive distraction tactics. Sometimes Gilbert gets startled as I go to pick him up off the back of the sofa. I leave 20 inch squares of fleece layered everywhere and I gently slide my hand under the fleece and it seems like the rolling motion you describe as he gets a grip on my hand through the fleece but it distracts him enought that he doesn't think to bite the fleece and he is solid on my hand and very happy to get to his cage again.

Even if someone uses the "earthquake" method, I simply do not understand why they would shake the bird around repeatedly. If I have ever had to resort to an earthquake I just drop my hand down a bit, then back up quickly ONE TIME, and that is all it takes. I would hope people wouldn't do it to the point that they are shaking the bird around like a rag doll, as IMO, it REALLY doesn't require all of that.

Even if someone uses the "earthquake" method, I simply do not understand why they would shake the bird around repeatedly. If I have ever had to resort to an earthquake I just drop my hand down a bit, then back up quickly ONE TIME, and that is all it takes. I would hope people wouldn't do it to the point that they are shaking the bird around like a rag doll, as IMO, it REALLY doesn't require all of that.

I agree completely! I never use te earthquake method, but if the roll doesn't work, I use the drop the hand a bit as you do, and that works fine.

I've never seen a hard earthquake used as initially described but have moved my arm from side to side as a distraction with birds that think the drop method is great fun. Moving your arm (or body if the attack happens while on your shoulder) back and forth about 2 inches from center will get most to focus on holding on instead of attacking. The motion should never be violent and instead it should be a distraction giving the human the needed moment to redirect or remove. To practice this place something on a table as center and an object 2 inches on each side of it then a toilet paper square sized piece of thin tissue paper on your bare arm and move it back and forth stopping at the outer objects. The tissue paper shouldn't fall off.

I've never seen a hard earthquake used as initially described but have moved my arm from side to side as a distraction with birds that think the drop method is great fun. Moving your arm (or body if the attack happens while on your shoulder) back and forth about 2 inches from center will get most to focus on holding on instead of attacking. The motion should never be violent and instead it should be a distraction giving the human the needed moment to redirect or remove. To practice this place something on a table as center and an object 2 inches on each side of it then a toilet paper square sized piece of thin tissue paper on your bare arm and move it back and forth stopping at the outer objects. The tissue paper shouldn't fall off.

Great advice Wingy. You illustated this very well, and the tissue paper practice method is a great idea. Thank you.

In my first post about earthquake I said that "If not done properly" could jar your bird and cause fear and loss of trust and I stand by this. Evean the roll if not done properly can cause a problem. IMO I beleve the roll is a gentler way. Some people like the earthquake and I said that was Ok. As in any case roll or earthquake "If done properly"

Edited by Ray P