NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello I have a question

Thebirdistheword

I use 1inch rope. I also make sure I have several perches , for nail and beak scratching. Sandy and concrete, I believe. I find the three of them on the rope perch together many times, with Sunny in the middle. ( my sonconure). The otherday, I found Sunny sleeping in Sophie's new cage on the rope perch, with Kiki and Sophie sleeping on the rope perch in Sunny and Kiki's cage. LOL I think, as Sunny is the only boy... he was TIRED of the girls. Wanted a break! Nancy

I use many different sizes, but nothing too small, so that their feet can get the exercise they need. I love the rope perches, but also have natural wood, and grapevine. I don't use concrete, or sandy perches, as from what I understand, they can cause open abrasions on their feet, and since they normally don't vary in width, their feet don't get the exercise they need. I trim my birds nails, or will take them in and have it done, and they get plenty of beak exercise, and chewing done to prevent beak overgrowth when they chew their toys, and wooden perches. Here is a quote from an article that highlights this subject:

"Sand and concrete perches can cause painful abrasions on the underside of your bird's feet and toes. To add to the problem, bacteria and debris from the perch can be introduced to those wounds every time your bird perches, causing a constant threat of infection.

The shape of the perches can also be an issue. Many concrete and sand perches are straight, and do not vary in width. This can cause stress to the delicate bones in your bird's feet. Pet birds need to be supplied with perches of varied widths and textures in order to maintain normal foot health.

As far as perches go, the best thing you can do for your bird is skip the concrete and sand and opt for a natural wood perch, like Manzanita. These perches will not only feel great on your bird's feet, but they are safe to chew on and provide beak exercise as well! While it's unfortunate that they don't wear a bird's nails down, you can always seek the help of a qualified avian vet for those pesky nail trims -- your pet will be much healthier and happier for it"!

I use manzanita perches along with safety pumice perch. Safety pumice perch has pumice stone just on the sides of the perch so a bird wouldn't get abrasions on his feet and this way only nails get trimmed. They aren't straight. They have different width throught the perch and are easy to maintain (I wash the perch with water and vinegar to disinfect it).

Sounds good to me! Kiki is the only bird that will accept new gym. Sean my 17 year old is a hunter. I think he " hunts" more for natural wood that he can bring home for birds. Cherry, oak, is what he usually brings home. Kiki is his bird. He's always planning, designing, and building. Sophie only prefers anything metal. She prefers this gym, so she can slide down the sides 90 miles an hour. Nancy