NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cockatiel or Quaker?

RobertsKitty

I have hit something of a fork in the road. I am to be allowed to buy either a Cockatiel or a Quaker. Having been around both types of birds and played with both I am leaning toward a Quaker. With that in mind I have a few questions on both sides.

First off: I am going to be living in an apartment soon, are Quakers noisy? I have looked around alot online and I have really seen both ways...I don't mind the noise much but until I move into the apartment I am living in a home with a bird dog and lots of loud squawking might drive her up a wall. After I move into the apartment I will need to not get complaints ;)

Secondly: I have head quakers get cage territorial. It doesn't bother me or Robert if we get the occasional hard nip but I was just wondering how severe this is. I also heard that a 'roosting cage' for them to sleep in at night greatly improves this. Is this true?

Mess: Are either birds messier than the other? They will be eating pellets to help avoid tossing food about.

Regarding Cages: I have picked out two cages that would be either for the Quaker or the Cockatiel depending on which I get. Are either of these particularly better than the other?

13221White%20bird%20cage.jpgThis cage is Width 32" Depth 21" Height 35"

cage.jpgThis cage is Width 31" Depth 20.5" Height 53"

I would be attaching my own seed guard onto either of them.

Regarding Toys: I need to know what kind of toys both birds like.

Potty Training: Is it fairly easy to train both birds to be potty trained? That or wear a flight suit...Again I don't mind the mess but I have carpet...lol.

Any other information you can give me would be great!

Thanks!

Yes quaker are/can be loud. Yes they do or can be aggressive around their cage. A happy hut or jolly ball for sleeping in does help. Many people have a seperate cage for sleeping in. Some are not as noisy as others but still can be so bad your neighbors complain.

They do however talk much better then tiels.

However if you plan to have children down the road I would recommend going with the cockatiel or a budgie.

Also since you rent many landlords don't require a deposit on the smaller birds. IE cockatiel or budgies. Easier to move with you.

Since you do rent I would recommend one of those and then when you buy your home and your children are in their teens get a quaker they are great birds.

If the bird dog is moving with you Id not get a bird at all until you move.

Even if you keep your bird in a different room in the house that is just not fair to the bird or the dog for that matter the sounds may drive your dog nutty wanting to get to the bird.

My quakers are even messier then my amazon and my grey. lol But I love them very much and would not trade my quakers for anything. I however do not rent and I live in a house so there is some space between me and my neighbors.

I love my quakers to pieces but they can get loud. Mind you I can't hear them over the suns and nandays having their morning screaming session atm. I have 3 of them, my blues are pretty laid back, Barney the green is very cage territorial. You also need to make sure quakers are legal in the state you live in.

I also breed cockatiels and honestly a well handraised cockatiel is an absolute delight. There are so many mutations out there as well that are so beautiful. They don't have the volume of the quakers nor the quirks that seem to come with them.

I've found the more "intelligent" (and I use that word with hesitation) the bird the more likely there are to be accompanying psychological problems too. Quakers whilst incredible with their potential speech etc. certainly come with a whole set of potential psychological issues. Cockatiels also have the potential to talk and are very smart but without quite as many neurotic issues.

Thank you all for your help thus far. I am still seriously considering both birds. I would honestly prefer a Quaker just because I like them better but a cockatiel is still within consideration as well.

One cockatiel question: I have heard all these horror stories about cockatiels and their night fright things. How predominate is this in cockatiels? With as large of a cage as I am going to have will this be as big of a deal?

My breeding pairs of cockatiels are in large aviaries and can still get night frights. A night light can help a bit but if it's going to happen there's not much you can do. If you're really leaning towards a quaker if you haven't already done it, check out the book "A Guide To The Quaker Parrot" by Mattie Sue Athan. It's a worthwhile read.

That is a great book and she is a great lady. I have that book and it has saved me more then once. lol

I even reread it ever year just to make sure I have not forgotten anything with dealing with my quakers.

My blue Topaz decided yesterday stepping up to get out of her cage is not something she wants to do. lol So lots of laddering yesterday. No she did not bite. Might be time to start letting her come out on her own and then get her.:blush:

Thanks. I'll certainly look around for it! I guess my big concern with the night frights is that the bird will injure itself and since I will be in a room where I can't hear it I will not know and it will die or nearly so before morning.

Edit: I have found and reserved the book at my local library. I will hopefully be able to pick it up today before Robert gets home from work.<br><br>Post edited by: RobertsKitty, at: 2007/09/17 14:13

You can always have a night cage for your tiel in your room. A lot of people do that. I have never heard of a bird hurting itself so bad it dies.

I have seen some blood feathers from it but never seen one die from it.

Gosh the more I hear people talk about tiels the more I want to try one again. But I have to many as it is need to stop MBS in its tracks. :silly: B)

I'm with you Tari. In the upteen years that I've had 'tiels I'm yet to lose one due to injuries from night fright.

I love my quakers but have just such a soft spot for the 'tiels. I mean honestly how can you resist something this cute.

2007_0426bubsagain0036_800x600.jpg

Yeah sorry Tari, I know I'm not helping you.:P

So many questions!!! :) I have had both a Cockatiel and Quaker at one point in my life.

Cockatiels and Quakers are equally noisy. Whether one makes more noise than another is really an individual trait. A Quakers voice is probably just a touch louder than a Tiel but I would not be concerned in an apartment.

Quakers do get cage territorial and a nighttime cage does help may but not alleviate the problem completely. Also, Quakers tend to tightly love one person at maturity and may become attack birds to everyone else. When you wonder about how they act when aggressive imagine a pirranha (not kidding!).

I would say that they are equally messy. On the two cages you have picked I don't have any recommendation one over the other but I would highly recommend getting one with a seed guard. This is a metal piece that fits around the perimeter and helps funnel dropped seed and/or pellets back into the cage floor instead of your floor.

I hope this helps!!!! :)

Well...I like Quakers...they make oats :side: .

Well, Piper has been a hand full, and they can turn into one person birds very very quick like during the hormonal season. But, if the other person is willing to take the pain to let the bird know that it's not going to get it's way with bitting...they can lear to respect the other person. Now, both people will not be able to "Play" with the Quaker, but they will be able to handle it. Here's a picture of Piper.

Rodney All_Wet.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: busere, at: 2007/09/20 00:30

All_Wet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

depends wat you want, cockatiels are a little less demanding and definetly not as aggressive on the whole as quakers.

personally, i'd lean towards the cockatiel if i were you, especially if you have other birds already as the little 'tiel will be able to take it in stride if he's not played with a ton much better than the quaker will. also, being the proud owner of little sully i can tell you that the night frights aren't seeminlgy as bad as what popular belief makes it out to be. i don't ever think in the year i have had him that he's ever had a serious case if any at all. if this still worries you i've heard it occurs more in the new color mutations and fancy mutations so you may just want to stick with the normal grey ones. also, a high prech in the cage for him to sleep on that is not near any toys etc will help prevent damage to himself if it occurs. good luck!

Regarding night fright in tiels...I have unfortunately lost a tiel to night fright. I believe she had a heart attack. We were out late one night and I had forgotten to turn on the night light:( and when I came home she was dead. Her partner was sitting on the bottom of the cage with her, so sad. I blame myself as I did not leave the night light on thinking we would not be too late. I have no experiance with quakers. Tiels are not too loud, although i could never hear them above the din of my conures anyway;)