NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Greys, salt

Bardbuff22

Tell me about African Greys or all parrots and salt (NaCl) in the diet. I have been asked to feed birds at a foundation salty foods which I won't, and this makes me think the birds are at risk. What is the verdict on salt? What are the absolute no no's for Greys and what is the advice on feeding them bananas?

The verdict is no. When people are told to go and buy different types of nuts for their parrots, the people must make sure that any type of nut that's purchased must not be salted. This applies to parrots. Don't know what other types of birds you're talking about. bananas can be gien once in a while and problems won't occur. There's no health benefits with bananas but many parrots like them. They can't hurt a parrot.

You'll have to post in different areas to get complete answers. This isn't the proper section. This is a welcome/introduction section. Please read the names of the different sections.

Edited by Dave007

Tell me about African Greys or all parrots and salt (NaCl) in the diet. I have been asked to feed birds at a foundation salty foods which I won't, and this makes me think the birds are at risk. What is the verdict on salt? What are the absolute no no's for Greys and what is the advice on feeding them bananas?

Dont understand what you mean by "foundation salty foods" .. Salt will accumulate in a birds system and become toxic and could very easily kill them.

Dont understand what you mean by "foundation salty foods" .. Salt will accumulate in a birds system and become toxic and could very easily kill them.

I think he was asked to feed birds "at a foundation", salty foods. :o

I hate the thought of feeding salty foods. Not good for people, not good for birds. JMHO

I think he was asked to feed birds "at a foundation", salty foods. :o

I hate the thought of feeding salty foods. Not good for people, not good for birds. JMHO

Agreed 100%. Simple rule to go by....if it is not good for us, then it is not good for our fids.

It is terrible to hear that these people want to feed these poor birds such bad foods. Good for you for doing your research, and wanting what is best for the birds.