NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

RE: How to Socialize my CAG? CONT.

Ajax4289

Below is my previous post...

"My Ajax lives with me...and only me.(well and my 2 dogs and a cat) When strangers enter the house he goes quiet(which is normal) but when family comes by he will step-up but he does NOT want me kissing or petting him. He makes his "squawk" that usually means he's upset. Any fast movement by my guest and he squawks. He may let them pet his head but I can tell he's uncomfortable and not enjoying it. He seems to tolerate my niece more(maybe because she's 4 and small?)

So the question is how do I socialize him with family and strangers? I don't want him to bite out of fear or be afraid. My family doesn't like birds in the first,all except for my niece! I'd really like him to be social and like "talking" to strangers...what's a good way? Should I get him to a bird "play date"? "

I think my meaning was mis-undertstood. My family isn't scared of my bird, rather they just don't care for him.(not hate him, just indifferent) Although the last few times I got my mother to give him a few kisses, and Ajax obliged!

I want Ajax to be comfortable and not fearful of at the very least my family. I see youtube videos of performing African greys, what did their trainers do to make them so social?Was it their natural tendacy or training?I would also like Ajax to talk when family is over. As of now he only talks around me and shuts up the minute someone walks in the door.

Below is my previous post...

"My Ajax lives with me...and only me.(well and my 2 dogs and a cat) When strangers enter the house he goes quiet(which is normal) but when family comes by he will step-up but he does NOT want me kissing or petting him. He makes his "squawk" that usually means he's upset. Any fast movement by my guest and he squawks. He may let them pet his head but I can tell he's uncomfortable and not enjoying it. He seems to tolerate my niece more(maybe because she's 4 and small?)

So the question is how do I socialize him with family and strangers? I don't want him to bite out of fear or be afraid. My family doesn't like birds in the first,all except for my niece! I'd really like him to be social and like "talking" to strangers...what's a good way? Should I get him to a bird "play date"? "

I think my meaning was mis-undertstood. My family isn't scared of my bird, rather they just don't care for him.(not hate him, just indifferent) Although the last few times I got my mother to give him a few kisses, and Ajax obliged!

I want Ajax to be comfortable and not fearful of at the very least my family. I see youtube videos of performing African greys, what did their trainers do to make them so social?Was it their natural tendacy or training?I would also like Ajax to talk when family is over. As of now he only talks around me and shuts up the minute someone walks in the door.

I think members did a good job of answering this question in the previous thread, but I would like to contribute to this one:

I will start at the beginning... whether your family dislikes, or is indifferent towards Ajax, he can sense this. Also, as far as your mom giving him kisses, that is great, but I would watch his body language very closely during this interaction. I never recommend someone put their face up to a parrot that does not know them well, for obvious reasons. Parrots are wild animals, and if they bite, it is always our fault.

As far as these greys that you are watching on youtube, are you talking about them speaking? They are speaking like this because they are with their flock, Do you think the bird would speak that much (if at all) if their house was full of strange people when they took their video? This is the same with Ajax... he talks around you because he is used to you, you are his flock. When your family comes over, Ajax is going to be quiet, and not draw attention to himself. This is perfectly NATURAL behavior.

As far as you asking if a Grey that is highly social is their general nature, NO...Greys tend to be one person birds, and there is nothing wrong with that, IMO. Don't expect Ajax to perform for people when they come over. If you wanted a little performing clown, you should have adopted a Too. Just let him be, and let him do what he feels comfortable doing. I mean, who cares if he entertains your family or not. He loves you, and that is all that matters.

ALSO, forget a parrot playdate....I dont think they exist, plus you should never have your bird around other strange birds. This is a good way to get your bird VERY sick.

I also think it might do you some good to read "The Parrots Bill Of Rights".

I hope you and Ajax can come to an understanding. Good luck.

Edited by DawL
  • Haha 1

I sort of think of it the way you might think of a child. Some children are just naturally shy. It's their personality. Other children are ready for the stage from the time they can first begin to react with their world. Some children are more aggressive than others and gravitate to sports. Then there are those who prefer to sit quietly and read for hours on end. Our greys are the same way. I have had two young greys now. (I tragically lost my first one just after his first birthday.) They were both TAGs, both males but different as night and day. I haven't done anything different with the second than I did with the first other than visit with him numerous times before he came home. (The first was shipped to me and I never met him until he came home.) The first was very cuddly. He was fine with new toys but did not like strangers. He was very apprehensive when my young granddaughters were over and preferred to stay in his cage. My new grey is very adventurous, doesn't like cuddles or scratches, LOVES bathing and showers (first one hated that) and is very accepting of the young granddaughters (as long as they are not in touching distance). So there might be some things you can do to make him more comfortable around others but most of those things involve training the people, not the bird. They need to talk softly, offer treats, things like that. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

It's sort of like having a shy child who can recite the Gettysburg Address and asking them to do it in a room full of strangers.

The outcome is sure to be disastrous.

I hate when people come over and stick their face right up to the cage, talking at the bird. I'm sure she hates that as well.

Ajax will have his own level of socialization. Much of that will depend upon how often and how many different people come to your home and hang out. Greys are very empathic and know a persons feelings the instant they walk in the door and minute by minute as moods swing from happy to sad to nervous to angry etc. and will respond in appropriate reciprocation.

It does not matter if the visitors are interested in becoming closer to Ajax or not. The most important thing, is him just getting used to meeting new people and watching how humans behave and socialize together and that they are not a threat to him. The more often you have visitors, the better. Ajax will decide who he likes and who he will just watch from a distance. It just takes time for him to assimilate all this.

Also, if anyone is interested in getting closer to Ajax, you need to make certain you advise them on how to interact with a parrot and go Slooooowww based upon Ajax, not the persons desire to just get up close and personal immediately.

If you have read my posts, you see that Sophie is a very social bird. Sophie has been there for two teenagers. She has been part of wrestling sleepovers, boyscout sleepovers. We have an "open cage" philosophy, that doesn't work for many families, unless they have 24/7 coverage. My kids are 100% involved in her training. Most greys will pick one favorite. It depends on the family dynamics. If it is one person, and a grey, you can't expect them to tolerate anything else. While recovering from back surgery, my sister came to care for me. I knew this would be different for Sophie, but knew she would be fine. My sister, was going to be a different story! I asked my sister to come sooner than later! My sister needed to learn, to not be scared of Sophie. Sophie was going to insist on being friends, my sister, was going to have to learn to accept her, before I had surgery. They learned to respect each other. They spent three weeks caring for me. When my sister left... she LOVED Sophie. Now, whenever my sister calls... Sophie wants to talk to Cindy. They are friends Nancy