NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

String

Brendon.

I've read and heard different things about string in terms of making bird toys. While there are obviously safety risks associated with different types of string, I'm not sure as to which kind is the best choice.

With regard to cotton, I've heard that it can be made into bird toys because it is soft and birds are able to pick it apart if need be. On the other hand, I've heard that it tends to get birds' legs and beaks trapped in it which is cause for concern.

I've heard similar things about sisal string as well. As for leather straps and shoelaces, they also seem like viable options, but I worry about not knowing what kinds of dye or glue the string has been treated with.

What do you guys use?

Hey Brendon, and welcome to the forum. This is a great question! There is a great website that other members of the forum turned me onto that has great, safe bird toy products that you can make your own toys from. I have inserted the link to what I ordered, and I love it.

A lot of people really like the sisal rope, and a lot of people use it on stands and play gyms that they have made. This website has sisal, and bird safe leather, as well as the rope that I use. Sometimes it helps to order from a website that is dedicated specifically to birds, this way we can assume it is a bird safe product. I feel better doing this, as opposed to going to the craft store myself.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=9302&product=9303

We use cotton rope toys with wooden blocks, beads etc, on them. However, we monitor them constantly to ensure any frayed strings are snipped off immediately and once the rope is looking worn we toss it.

I use a lot of chain that is too small for talons to get caught in and also Leather as Ray mentioned. Leather is wonderful and they will spend hours untying knots if you tie several down the length of a strip. Dayo will sometimes sit on my lap and untie 10 knots in a strip of leather, then drop it, look at me, I tie them all again and he works it until all are once again removed. I suppose it's like a puzzle to them. :)

I bought leather strips at the last bird fair. It was one of my best purchases since Roscoe LOVES to spend hours untying the knots...

I also hang toys on them and whenever he unknots them and they fall -- he loves to look down and say, "Oh, Oh!!"

I use bird safe sisal & leather. Unless it was specifically stated, I don't know that I'd ever assume it was bird safe, though. I'm afraid of cotton because I saw first hand what happened w/a fid who got it wrapped into a claw joint.

Something else I use a lot is zip ties. I got a ton of them for cheap somewhere & in fluorescent colors. I've found out they're really useful for toy making & to attach things in the cage.

I also use my swings to make toys. These were meant to have the perch replaced. So the sides are metal rod that has a hooked top w/a nut at the bottom. I add things to the sides of the whole swing or just use one side to skewer together a hanging toy.

Edited by birdhouse

I use bird safe sisal & leather. Unless it was specifically stated, I don't know that I'd ever assume it was bird safe, though. I'm afraid of cotton because I saw first hand what happened w/a fid who got it wrapped into a claw joint.

Something else I use a lot is zip ties. I got a ton of them for cheap somewhere & in fluorescent colors. I've found out they're really useful for toy making & to attach things in the cage.

I also use my swings to make toys. These were meant to have the perch replaced. So the sides are metal rod that has a hooked top w/a nut at the bottom. I add things to the sides of the whole swing or just use one side to skewer together a hanging toy.

What a great idea Birdhouse! I bet it turns out really well, and your birds probably love it! I really love the skewers for making toys, and this just takes it to a whole other level.

They're my quick & easy go to, especially for Phenix who favors wood block/bead toys. The only thing is finding this type of swing. And you've got to be sure the fid doesn't lose the nut. Cause we all know how much they love to unscrew things.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on how much they love to unscrew anything they can get their beaks on. Do you possibly remember where you got this swing, or have a pic of it? I would love to possibly order a few of them.

Brendon, the sisal rope and leather strips are good choices. ALWAYS... be careful with string. They can wrap themselves in it... as Sophie did once. There have been two close calls in our life. Once I found Sophie totally wrapped in string. ( our blinds!) I cringe to even think about it! Of course, my beautiful blinds got thrown out. Curtains got tossed out as well. My formal room was slowly becoming theirs. Nancy

I got that string I was telling you about the other day (that I left a link for) and it is FANTASTIC! Won't fray, and seems to be very sturdy. Even my Cockatoo has a time getting it apart! I hope you found something you could use!

I've been building bird toys all weekend so I had to come to a decision on the string I wanted to use.

The short answer is that I think it's all about discretion. Certain types like cotton can pose hazards under the wrong circumstances, but I think if you kept segments short it wouldn't be an issue.

I used a combination of bird-safe leather straps, thin and thick sisal rope and zip ties. I also found a couple different kinds of "poly" rope, which seems almost kind of plastic-y but I was told that it will not fray and is completely untreated with any chemicals. Generally when I use sisal, it's for stuff like beads and suspending blocks. The leather I use more for hand toys. Poly is for anything else :D

One thing I like about sisal is that especially with the thicker kind, you CAN fray it. While this may seem like a risky idea, it's essentially impossible to get a limb stuck in it, as it has a similar consistency to straw. It should also make for excellent preening toys. What I ended up doing was with few of my toys that I suspended with thick sisal rope, I would tie a knot at the bottom and fray the leftover sisal that hangs below. Then, once the strands were small enough, I would line them with assorted buttons and tie more, smaller knots underneath to keep them in place.

I'll upload a few pictures of the toys I made tomorrow -- I think I got to something like 6 or 7 of them, entirely from scratch!

I've been building bird toys all weekend so I had to come to a decision on the string I wanted to use.

The short answer is that I think it's all about discretion. Certain types like cotton can pose hazards under the wrong circumstances, but I think if you kept segments short it wouldn't be an issue.

I used a combination of bird-safe leather straps, thin and thick sisal rope and zip ties. I also found a couple different kinds of "poly" rope, which seems almost kind of plastic-y but I was told that it will not fray and is completely untreated with any chemicals. Generally when I use sisal, it's for stuff like beads and suspending blocks. The leather I use more for hand toys. Poly is for anything else :D

One thing I like about sisal is that especially with the thicker kind, you CAN fray it. While this may seem like a risky idea, it's essentially impossible to get a limb stuck in it, as it has a similar consistency to straw. It should also make for excellent preening toys. What I ended up doing was with few of my toys that I suspended with thick sisal rope, I would tie a knot at the bottom and fray the leftover sisal that hangs below. Then, once the strands were small enough, I would line them with assorted buttons and tie more, smaller knots underneath to keep them in place.

I'll upload a few pictures of the toys I made tomorrow -- I think I got to something like 6 or 7 of them, entirely from scratch!

Sounds awesome Brendon, look forward to the pics of your toys!