NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just a quick hello! :)

Hi guys

Been having a look about on the forum for a few days now and thought I would introduce myself!

I'm Ellie and i come from Birmingham in the UK!

Me and my other half are looking into getting a grey in the new year and I've decided to join here so i can get as clued up as possible before bringing the bird home! :) There's a pet shop near by which currently have 3 baby greys in (2 boys and a girl) about 11 weeks old now and we plan to keep popping in frequently until we can make a decision on which on we will reserve (won't be ready to take home until end of January we have been told).

I look forward to getting to know everybody!

Hello, and welcome! I bet you are very excited, and I am excited for you as well. Big Kudos to the pet store you are getting your Grey from. I saw that they are 11 weeks old now, and still wont be ready until the end of January, so a big thank you to them for not rushing these babies out the door to make a quick buck.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you would like. There are so many knowledgeable Grey owners here that are happy to help. :)

Hey everyone I'm Ellie's other half so decided to join up myself

Dawl your very right about the shop where were getting her from they are very very good, hugely knowledgeable and are very patient with us regarding all the questions were asking at the moment.

We have decided to take the girl as she is very calm and does seem to be very happy around us both, all three have started to refuse there morning and evening formula so getting closed to being weaned but like Ellie said still wont be ready till middle/end of jan

Oh and here are the first pics of her , we've decided to call her Lola

8f342a50.jpg

39086911.jpg

b1901df9.jpg

Edited by withoutabix

Lola is absolutely gorgeous, and you guys made a great choice (although I am sure it was very hard)! I am sure she will be one spoiled birdie when she does get home. I am also waiting for my little one to come home with me. He will be getting shipped to me sometime near the end of January, and the wait is AWFUL! LOL....At least I have some other people to wait with :)

Hello Ellie and the other half and welcome to our family, so glad you could both join us and we look forward to hearing and seeing a lot more of you both and Lola.

Lola is a beauty of a baby grey and I know the wait will be long but so worth it when she finally gets home to spend the rest of her life in your loving care.

Your breeder is right to keep her until she is fully weaned as it can take more than 16 weeks and sometimes less than, it just depends on the individual grey, thanks for sharing some pics with us, she looks to be a real sweetheart of a grey.

Thanks guys, she is gorgeous! Me and Neil can't wait to bring her home and understand that it will take as long as it takes until she is fully weaned and ready to come back with us. In the mean time can continue to read up and start putting things aside for her and getting a cage sorted out.

It was a tough choice DawL but Lola seemed to take to us more that the other two boys so that helped us make our decision!

Thanks guys, she is gorgeous! Me and Neil can't wait to bring her home and understand that it will take as long as it takes until she is fully weaned and ready to come back with us. In the mean time can continue to read up and start putting things aside for her and getting a cage sorted out.

It was a tough choice DawL but Lola seemed to take to us more that the other two boys so that helped us make our decision!

Yes, that does always help to make the decision. I didn't get to meet with my little guy to pick him out. There were 3 babies in the clutch, but it felt right, ya know? He is a few states away from me, and will fly on an airplane to me :) Will you guys be visiting with Lola from time to time? I wish I could do that as well, but I suppose it will be worth the wait.

Dawl... we'll all be waiting with you..Lesson number one, before you even get your bird..... patience, patience, patience! ( sooooo hard!)

sophie has taught me a lifetime of patience over past ten years. No rushing my girl. Eating, talking and trusting. She taught me, patience! They are sooo amazing! I am so excited for you! Nancy

Dawl... we'll all be waiting with you..Lesson number one, before you even get your bird..... patience, patience, patience! ( sooooo hard!)

sophie has taught me a lifetime of patience over past ten years. No rushing my girl. Eating, talking and trusting. She taught me, patience! They are sooo amazing! I am so excited for you! Nancy

LOL, I suppose you are right Nancy, but it is definitely difficult. It has been tough this week tough, as I have not gotten an update on him since the Sunday before last because of the holidays. I am hoping to get one by tomorrow night!

Next update

Went to see Lola yesterday and boy was she in a funny mood, was happily playing through the bars of her cage. But as soon as she came out she was having none of it, screaming and eventually turned to biting, she then sat happily for 5mins then decided to go flying and then returned to her cage and sat with a right face on!!!

We put this down to well, her being her just having one of those days I suppose, the shop have also agreed that in around a weeks time it might be worth moving her into the cage on her own, it will be the cage we're purchasing so as a bonus when we finally get her home she will already be acustomed too it hopefully.

Btw will try and get some more pics on sat

I am sooo excited for you! I remember that feeling like it was yesterday. Can you believe it was a decade ago for me? Let us know the update. In the mean time, I suggest you work on toy arrangement, ( how many toys do you plan in the cage initially?) Gym.... metal, or wooden? Diet, and stepup training. LOTS of homework for you. I wish in retrospect, I had time to plan for Sophie's arrival. It was tough for me to get a bird that was two, going thru the terrible twos. Sophie, was just there! I was totally clueless! It worked out. Sophie has been the BEST thing to ever happen to my family. You are going to be a GREAT parent! We will all help you whenever you are concerned. I'm not concerned.You care so much already, and your bird isn't here yet. You are amazing! Nancy