NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Long molt and gas in feces

lyndaelyzoo

I am very concerned about the health of my African Grey parrot and was wondering if anyone may have some advice or suggestions. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to schedule an appointment, but wanted to know if anyone on this forum may be able to help. Brutus just went through a long, severe molt, and some of this down feathers are visible on his chest. I have also noticed that he has air bubbles in his feces, which concerns me that he may have a Clostridium infection. He also doesn't seem as high-strung as usual and am wondering if that relates to the molting. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

• 6 months later...
I am very concerned about the health of my African Grey parrot and was wondering if anyone may have some advice or suggestions. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to schedule an appointment, but wanted to know if anyone on this forum may be able to help. Brutus just went through a long, severe molt, and some of this down feathers are visible on his chest. I have also noticed that he has air bubbles in his feces, which concerns me that he may have a Clostridium infection. He also doesn't seem as high-strung as usual and am wondering if that relates to the molting. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Usually, a vet diagnoses that situation because there's a few conditions that cause it. Most of the time it's a minor kidney infection but wait for the vet's response.

Today, find a very small jar or plastic container that has a cover and take some of the feces and put in the container and give it to the vet.

As far as your bird being subdued during molting, that's very common to become more quiet and less active. To a bird who's molting, iit's an uncomfortable time and they can get short tempered and nip or bite if you pet the bird in the wrong direction. . This may last a month or so. Females are more aggressive than males. Basically, ease up on all the touchy feely activities. Spray him with soothing aloe vera juice and if you don't have any, use water. The water should be on the cold side.

Edited by Dave007

Sorry guys, you will all probably hate me, but thats okay. Parents go crazy, concerned the bird has health issues, etc. You can spend alot of time, focused on health issues, or you can focus, on behavioral issues. Behavior, is always my focus. Nancy

This post is being flagged as misguiding, inappropriate information. The original poster came here with a serious health problem concerning her bird and it was insinuated in this reply that people may spend too much time thinking about health problems and not nearly as much time on behavior issues. I contemplated deleting this post but I decided not to because I rarely do things like that BUT I will say this---there should not be a next time in the Health Room.

Edited by Dave007