NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help please quite worried

tilly22

Hi my parrot Tilly who ive had for around 4 months is 11 months old and has started molting recently which i was told was quite normal. My problem is i have just found a huge feather 7 inches long on the floor and its worried me, it doesnt look pulled or anything so i think it has naturally fell out.

Can anyone tell me if its normal for a feather this big to fall out ive added a picture as an attachment

Feather1.jpg

First of all, a big welcome to you and your feathered friend! Now, you said it yourself :) Tilly is molting. It is perfectly normal for her to lose both large and small feathers. The feather does not look chewed or mutilated in any way, and I am assuming Tilly does not have a bald spot, or anything of the sort. Those are the kinds of things you want to keep a look out for that would point to an issue.

When you see a hollow shaft on a feather it generally means it was ready to fall out to be replaced. Our Gilbert has been a stress plucker. The day he was being moved from his previous home he plucked fifteen to twenty flight feathers and they had tissue in the end of the shaft. You are in the right time frame for a molt and that might also be a time for a little irritability or "off" behavior, so keep that in mind as well. The flight feathers may come out at times other than a molt. Our long term grey owners have pointed out that the flight feathers will usually come out symmetrically, one on each side, so a couple at the same time. I think this has something to do with balance in flight. Tilly is just growing up. We love pictures if you get the chance to introduce your little bundle of joy.

Not to worry, I have three parrots and find flight feathers/large feathers all the time. I just save them all. Someday I hope to figure out what to do with them. They are beautiful! Some days its like a busted pillow in the bird room there are down feathers galore floating everywhere!!! LOL! I spray with Aloe Vera juice and water to help with any dry skin.

Edited by luvparrots

I think when every new bird owner finds those large feathers they panic thinking their bird is plucking but those feathers have to be replaced along with every other feather on their body and it looks like the one in the picture was shed in preparation of a new one taking its place.

Hi my parrot Tilly who ive had for around 4 months is 11 months old and has started molting recently which i was told was quite normal. My problem is i have just found a huge feather 7 inches long on the floor and its worried me, it doesnt look pulled or anything so i think it has naturally fell out.

Can anyone tell me if its normal for a feather this big to fall out ive added a picture as an attachment

Just remember that you'll see that happen a few times a year. There's no set time. It could be one feather, 2 or 3 feathers

and that includes the red tail feathers.

Don't worry tilly22...I found a red tail feather yesterday for my 4 month old and I instantly freaked out and inspected it thoroughly to try and make myself feel better that it wasn't plucked. I had the same reaction you did! :) Luckily, we have the forum and lots of people to reassure us when things like this happen. :) Welcome and we'd love to see pics of Tilly.

Don't worry tilly22...I found a red tail feather yesterday for my 4 month old and I instantly freaked out and inspected it thoroughly to try and make myself feel better that it wasn't plucked. I had the same reaction you did! :) Luckily, we have the forum and lots of people to reassure us when things like this happen. :) Welcome and we'd love to see pics of Tilly.

Gawww! That is so cute! You sound like such a good Mommy :)

Tilly, I am glad we could put your mind at ease. Please don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need. There are so many nice, knowledgeable people here that would be more than willing to answer them for you.

Thanks dawl :) I think I am a little too much of a worry wart...but I'm working on it.

Every new mommy worries. It reflect your love, and your deep care for your baby. I just love Chickie. She is so beautiful and photogenic. I can't wait to get Grimm home, and then we can worry together! :P