NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage help!

CharlieB

Hi everyone, my name is Charlie. I'm new to this forum ;). I already pick one of the Greys at my local bird store. I don't know about the sex yet, but h/she is awesome and so cuteeeeee.

My Grey is about 5 months old. I'm confused about choosing a cage for my new Grey, after I've heard all kinds of different ideas. The owner said: they need a cage at least 23w x 33l x 35h. Then I read in the book that's said "A good sized first cage for a baby grey parrot is probable about 20 x 20 x 28 with 3/4 bar spacing. And I heard from other people is a small cage is better for a young Grey, they will have more confidence and secure. Could someone please tell me which one is truth.

I have 2 cages. One is 25 x 25 x 38h, another one is a dome cage with dimension is 18w x 30l x 38h. Can I use any of them? Should I use the grate/grille?

Thank you in advance

Edited by CharlieB

Hello Charlie, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new grey.

You should provide a cage as big as your budget will allow, a grey needs room to move around and be able to flap his/her wings without touching the sides of the cage besides when you put in some toys that will lessen the amount of free space. Your new grey can be put in a large cage to start with as long as you put the perches low to start out with as young greys tend to be somewhat clumsy, also put some padding down in the bottom of the cage to cushion any falls until your bird gets more adept at climbing, you can cover the padding with some newspaper to catch the poops.

You should stick with the 3/4 to 1 inch spacing as any more and your grey might be able to get his/her head thru and then stuck, if you are getting a Tag versus a Cag then no bigger than 3/4 should be used as they are smaller type greys.

Judygram has excellent advice! Whatever cage you start with... plan on it for a long time. Greys don't adapt well to a decent cage, then to a grand cage. Whatever cage you start with, plan on this cage being around for a long time. Same goes for gyms. Sophie was given a new mansion, new gungle gym.... she refuses. Decided to live in cage with Amazon and sunconure, even after I brought back her old cage, she refused to leave Kiki and Sunny's cage. Easier for me.... but weird! Nancy

Ok, so I just finished the assembly of this cage that I just bought. The cage's dimension is 30x40x40 (without stand and playtop.) I'm wondering if it's ok for a Grey. I don't know the brand of this cage, but the model is WI-40. There are two perches that came with this cage. I'm not familiar with these perches. I'm wondering if any one recognize these perches, and know if they are safe for Greys. Oh, and the cage is made in Malaysia. Thank you

010yey.jpg

009chw.jpg

008qq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...