NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Liver Bile Acids?

roseepting

My vet says our new bird, Tindo has elevated (above 100) liver bile acid readings. He says they were at 113 a month and a half ago and still there 2 weeks ago. He said at first that it could be because the bird had been weaned to seeds. We have had him on pellets (Pretty Bird African Grey) since about a week before his last blood test. Now he thinks because the reading is the same as before we should xray his liver. He did say we could wait a month or two and retest which is what I am leaning towards. He didn't say what could be done if there is a problem with the liver. I am all for paying whatever if the bird is sick and it can be cured, but he is so active and beginning to talk and shows no sign of any problem. I know they hide things, but he is busy and happy. Any one have any ideas or had a similar problem and what did you do?

The liver is one of the few organs that can repair it's self to some degree so a clean healthy diet with fresh greens and a variety of foods will do him some good along with some exposure to unfiltered Sunshine. You may want to read about Milk Thistle drops as a detoxifier. Other than that it is kind of wait & see how he progresses then do what is required.

Thanks for your help.. His poop is white and dark green/black. The vet said it was fine when he was there two weeks ago. I think I will call him back. I don't understand what he would do if he did xray the liver. What possible problems/treatments might be. He didn't seem to think it was urgent, yet said he wasn't comfortable blowing it off.

How old is your baby? For humans, newborn babies, sometimes have elevated liver enzymes, due to an immature liver. I don't know about birds livers, but I would be very careful regarding introducing anything new to your baby. Contact your vet, ask him what in the diet will be more taxting to his liver. Adjust diet accordingly. I would followup in three to four weeks with new lab test. I don't see how an xray would help checking out the liver. An ultrasound would be the first step. Just a thought from a radiology nurse. Nancy