NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ladders, ropes, or nothing?

Jimmydreams

Hi everyone...

I'm searching for the right CAG, and in the meantime, I have a cage very similar to this:

cage.jpg

Is it a good idea to put a ladder or rope so that the bird can get from the cage to the floor (assuming the door is open) and from the cage to the 'play perch' when the top section is open? I don't know if the bird would climb up to the 'play perch' on his own or if it's better to leave them 'stranded' on the top after being placed there by hand. Or will he simply climb all over the inside and outside regardless?? ;) And if a climbing device is good, which is better; ladders or ropes?

I'm just thinking ahead for how his playtime will be when he's not interacting physically with me....

Advice and suggestions welcome!

Thanks!!

Jim

I have ropes and ladders for my three parrots. But you know they climb all over the place in and out of their cages

using the bars at their will. Mine are very agile and fully flighted as well so they don't much care about ladders and ropes.

Edited by luvparrots

GREAT cage! My cage is similar, but the door opens for them to stepup on HUGE wooden gym. Next to wooden gym, is a metal gym, Sophie's favorite. Make sure you have a mixture of sandy perches, etc. I now have two cages, two gyms. One wooden, one metal. Sophie's metal cage is hanging by a thread. We keep fixing it. I want to buy her a new gym... she refuses. We keep bandaiding her gym. She's had it for past 12 years. Nancy

I have a sisal boing inside everyone's cage & they love them. Boings give a lot of "perch" space. w/o taking up a ton of cage space. You can shape them to fit. It also gives the fids a reason to move all the way thru the cage. They also swing, which I think the birds really enjoy, too. But I leave them to climb all over the outside of the cage & they do just fine w/o any anything to help.

I have the boing inside the cage also and Egan spends more time there than anywhere else. I also bought one of those stainless steel bells that are in a tube shape and hung that at the top of the boing so it hangs down in the middle of the spiral.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2300&product=2301

He LOVES ringing that bell, but the clanger is too far up and he can't reach it to break it.

I always hang a toy from the top. Sometimes I'll slide something like a teething ring half way up the boing. Our bells are at the bottom so they's always a little music. Those bells have a really nice sound & I enjoy them.

Phenix loves to go down & shake it. I think he really likes the sound, too. Although I also think he's still trying to pull out the clapper. Too bad for him because they do actually seem bird proof. Yay!

• 1 month later...