NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How well our greys preserve their toys

Joe Bachi

This is to prove that contrary to popular belief, african greys DO preserve their toys,

Just look at this picture of a toy I bought for Mikko in it's original condition and how it still looks great after a month of usage:

Image1497.jpg

As you can see, this toy is still usable and you can barely notice the difference between the two :P

LOL

Joe

Well here is what I learned,

Never Ever spend more than two hours making a toy for your grey cz the result is always the same:

This is a toy that I made for Mikko, it took me a lot of time and a lot of patience to finish it,

It took him little energy and a beak to shred it to pieces :P

Image1458.jpg

lol It depends on what type of toy. I try not to spend too much time on "shredders" made out of light duty things that are designed to keep something new & fun moving thru. But I do think it's worth investing some more time when I'm making more substantial toys from wood, plastic beads, etc. since they last longer & help keep the beak trimmed better.

Of course, a nice switch from an apple tree doesn't take any more time than it takes to cut & wash. So that's just win/win in my book. :)

Edited by birdhouse

Wow. I guess Marcus is very gentle by comparison! :P I have to buy him a new big wooden toy to hang in his cage maybe once every few months or so--if that! I think I've honestly only placed a couple of orders for him online (for toys) since we've had him. I will say I do try to rotate his toys as I am able (foot toys included), and my mom gave him a couple as a gift when she visited last year, but he's really not a Mr. Destruction like your babies apparently all are. I'll come home some days and there will be some colored bits of wooden block beneath the grate on his papers, but the effect on the toy in general is pretty negligible.

Our Tybalt, on the other hand--yes, he loves ripping apart his hanging wooden toys! Haha, have to keep that shiny red beak at its sharpest!

In any event, thanks to the OP for sharing the pic... it made me laugh! :)