NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hey everyone! New Grey on the way home, wanted to post some pictures

zephyr

I adopted an African Grey a few months ago. She was hatched on October 4th and I'm still deciding on the name.

Still learning as much as possible before taking her home next month; even though I did a lot of reading a few months prior to adoption and a lot more since then.

Looking forward to being part of the community here :cool:

Early Pic:

tw6E7.jpg

More recent, first toy!:

enOJL.jpg

OMG! Soooo precious! I want to be an aunt! Its been so long since we had a baby here. It reminds me of those very fantastic days. Our babies are now 12 and 10. Our rescue unknown, for his years. Our experiences actually continue to be the best.Its been a journey, that I wouldn't trade for anything. I look forward to helping you, if you need any assistance. Nancy

Thanks everyone! Been visiting all the time with her. The past two visits I started getting her used to being in a harness and that's gone really well. She's super curious about the buckle but doesn't really mind wearing it. I was planning on leaving her un-clipped so I could take her out flying.

The aviary owner said her Greys get a pretty big attitude when they aren't clipped since they can do everything for themselves. I figured that's something I'll just see how it goes.

Have any of you had experiences related to that?

Hello, and welcome! I just about died when I saw those pics! Such a cute little one you have there! Do you know the sex yet?

Anyhow, on the subject of clipping, there are really positives and negatives to both sides of this subject. I decided to have my baby clipped LIGHTLY to allow ample training time during these months when they are so impressionable. IMO it is much easier to do training sessions on a clipped baby, as opposed to an unclipped baby. If they are clipped they are more dependent on you, and will obviously not try to fly away during a training session. When he has his first molt, I will then allow the flight feathers to grow back in, and by this time he will be (hopefully) harness trained, and ready for some outside time!

This is really a decision you must make for yourself, and your bird. Do what you feel is right for your family. Here is a link to a GREAT article on the aspects of this decision, and explains the positives and negatives on the subject. I hope it helps you.

http://www.onafricanwings.com/clipping.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Zephyr and welcome to our family, congrats on your new grey baby and from the pics you shared it is an adorable one, know you can't wait to bring her home to begin her new life with you.

Baby greys are so precious and that first pic is a winner in my book, who could not fall in love with her after seeing that and we look forward to seeing lots more pics of your precious Hattie.

• 3 weeks later...