NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird Room Advice

chimaysmommy

Hello everyone!!

My fiancé and I are closing on our first house on Dec 27th and will be designating one of the spare bedrooms as a bird room for our grey. He's an only-bird at the moment but we hope to someday get him a roommate! :) For now though he'll have the new bird room all to himself. I was hoping to get some advice on ideas for making his room as fun as possible.

In addition, for those of you with a designated bird room allow your fid(s) to be out of their cage unsupervised in their space? I planned on taking all of the necessary precautions to "proof" the room (no wires, covered/secured electrical outlets, etc) in hopes that I could allow him to be out while I'm working. I work from home, so I'd still be looking in on him throughout the day until I'm done with work.

Great news! Congratulations on the new digs.

I think every birdie playroom should have a huge cargo net, a tree to forage in, an orbit & at least one hanging play "stand". Lots of high & swinging type activity.

The only problem is, the more activities the bird has access to, the greater the possibility that an accident may happen. You just never know & it might not be a great idea to leave them unsupervised for very long.

The other thing is that I really suspect there's no such thing as bird proof. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid. Or maybe it's because when Phenix showed me how he'd learn to turn the light switch off & on I kept thinking how lucky he'd stopped there. Knowing him, he could just as easily have decided to take it apart to see how it worked.

My time w/my flock has taught me not to leave them alone for too long. No mater how many fun things they've got, they just have to make their own fun.

I have a bird room and a house that my three parrots fly through all day long. I am retired so we spent oodles of time together. In the birdroom they are safe because they have lots of perches and toys and no exposed wiring or cables, etc. I do leave they alone in their bird room. For some reason they do not fight in their "nest." The rest of the house they will get into battles in. I have to be very careful about my keyboards and any cereal or other foods that I leave out on the counter, kitchen table, refrigerator top, etc. etc. They are very curious and always hungry birdies. I do have a cargo net, a very large and heavy one in my office and there are lots of swings and boings hanging throughout the abode. It works for me, but then I live alone and I am retired so my time is my birdies' time.

Edited by luvparrots

Thanks for the replies!! I'm really excited about getting Chimay his own room. I'll probably monitor his playtime in the room for a few days before deciding to allow him out for extended periods unsupervised. He's been living with us in our two bedroom apartment for so long, and I'm anxious for him to get his own Birdvana space to enjoy :) Definitely going to be visiting the toys section of the forum to get some ideas so we can Macgyver some toys and foraging stuff together.